91 Year Old Fighter Pilot Returns to Iwo Jima

The countries closed off that island and it's only for tours now. It is left as if they just stopped fighting. Just time has changed things. The bunkers and caves are all the same. When they filmed the Eastwood movies they didn't have to do much to make the film.

When i went on a tour, we rode in on an amphibious landing craft and climbed the beach where they landed. I don't know how the Marines did it. I was standing there, and worked up a sweat just climbing the bank of the beach. That black sand was really hard to walk in. It had to be the most miserable place on the planet when the fighting was going on for over a month. When I got to the top where they raised the flag, it's incredibly powerful to stand there and see the landscape, to know what happened, and to learn about the sacrifice.

It was a crazy tour that really brings it home when you can see the relics and artifacts still lying around. (in some places you can still find brass laying around)

I am glad they have video files of these warriors that fought here, and in other places from all of the wars since WWII.

I really like watching the Band of Brothers series, and the Pacific series, to see their memories and recalling what happened.

Seems like the wars were larger, yet had simpler solutions. There was a definition of what it took to win. Compare the time span of those conflicts to what we are dealing with radical Islam, there is no taking Berlin or the mainland and the war is won. If we go to war with NK it will not be like that...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Seems like the wars were larger, yet had simpler solutions. There was a definition of what it took to win. Compare the time span of those conflicts to what we are dealing with radical Islam, there is no taking Berlin or the mainland and the war is won. If we go to war with NK it will not be like that...

So right.. I think it has to do with the passive nature that has taken over. The unwillingness to understand that there are groups out there that will kill you. For no reason other than being American. Its not easy, but sometimes some have to be dealt with. The idea that you can take people and toss them in jail and after committing violent acts, and after some amount of time they are going to be good citizens is just ignorant.

The ISIS group and Middle East, or anywhere terrorism exists. would have been easy if we were still willing to win. I have been in shootouts that took more than a day in villages. I personally believe that if you are still in the area after an hour of shooting starting, you need to get out, or I am sorry, you are going to be part of the body count.

Look at the clear difference between "strategic patience" of Odummer and how it worked to get rid of ISIS, and the way they are surrounding the city and letting the civilians out, and killing the terrorists as they flee or fight, while pushing them out of the city. It's about time.

Back