Rem 243

wicka

Shooting a Rem 700 SPS 9 1/4 twist in 243, What weight bullet are you finding works well for predator hunting and what powder? thanks

IMR 4064 is usually a great powder in the 243.

I don't load my 243s for coyotes, but if I did, I would shoot the 70 Gr Speer TNT.

Works well? You trying to save hides? The .243 is rough on fur but kills like dynamite. There are so many possibilities in the .243, just pick any decent bullet and work up a load with a book recommended suitable powder that works in YOUR rifle and put it to work. In .243 I've killed with the 70 gr. Ballistic Tip, 75 gr. V-Max, 85 gr. Sierra Hollowpoint Boattail Game King, 87 gr. Hornady BTHP, 87 gr. V-Max, 95 gr. Ballistic Tip, 100 gr. Hornady Interlock, 100 gr. Core-Lokt, 105 gr. Speer. Take your pick...

I've had 3 .243's and I've still yet to find one that would shoot 100 grain hunting bullets really well. But I've run everything from 55's to 100's through mine. Vanguard really liked 87 grain VLD's, Mossberg really liked 58/75 grain Vmax. My Remington 700 is the only one I have currently and was set up with a really fast accurate 85 grain Gameking. But after losing a buck to a shot that took it off it's feet and killing him the next year with my bow, that bullet has lost its place in my house. Currently the 700BDL is set up to shoot 58 grain Vmax with Varget at 3900 fps, and it's a laser!

If you are saving fur there is not another bullet that is better than the 55gr Sierra Blitz king. I've tried every bullet that you can think of from 55-87gr on coyotes and none works better. They do not exit a coyote and they put them down hard.

If you aren't saving hides them shoot whatever you want, but the 87gr Vmax is a very sexy bullet. BC of .400 and it is one of the most accurate bullets I've shot out of a .243.

If you choose to shoot the Speer TNT bullets, be aware that you can spin one to death. I loaded the 50 grainers in a 22-250 and they would explode about 50 yards out of the barrel. I slowed them down a bit and they worked just fine.

That is a good bullet. Pretty much all I shoot in my 243. It blows big holes but bucks the wind pretty good and puts coyotes down hard. Mine is a factory Remington 9 1/4" twist and it shoots them just fine.

For me its been 85gr sierra HPBT and 38 gr of Varget. .010 of the lands its running around 3150 out of my Tikka T3x 9 twist. This load is deadly on deer.

Originally Posted By: rem22250For me its been 85gr sierra HPBT and 38 gr of Varget. .010 of the lands its running around 3150 out of my Tikka T3x 9 twist. This load is deadly on deer.

This was a good load in my Remington, also.

The Sierra 60g HP works well with varget also, top end of the powder charge allowable by your gun and does not blow up coyotes.

The 69g Berger often does not shoot through the coyotes and would use H4895 or Varget in Mt.

In forty+ years with the 243, I have never had a coyote argue with it!

........... I have never had a hide worth saving either .... lol!

Three 44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MPFDI've had 3 .243's and I've still yet to find one that would shoot 100 grain hunting bullets really well. But I've run everything from 55's to 100's through mine. Vanguard really liked 87 grain VLD's, Mossberg really liked 58/75 grain Vmax. My Remington 700 is the only one I have currently and was set up with a really fast accurate 85 grain Gameking. But after losing a buck to a shot that took it off it's feet and killing him the next year with my bow, that bullet has lost its place in my house. Currently the 700BDL is set up to shoot 58 grain Vmax with Varget at 3900 fps, and it's a laser!

Dustin, we have had a flock of Rem 700's in 243, a few Rugers.

Try this load:

41.0g of IMR or H4350
Rem 9 1/2, cci 200, WLR
100g Hornady BTSP or flat base if you can find them
seat the bullet to touch the lands, barely

You maybe shooting 3/8" groups-1/2" groups in a bedded/freefloated rifle

Barrels do copper foul with a bullet with this much bearing surface, hope you have a good copper solvent.

Good luck
My current 243 bbl has some wear on it, I had to add another .5g of powder to get the pressure up to where it was when it was new

Last edited:
Last bullets I tried were the Hornady 100 grain SP interlocks with a flat Base. I tried some IMR4350, with no luck. I also tried IMR4064, Varget, IMR4895, R22, H4831SC, IMR4831, Win748 (I believe) & Win 760. Not sure I had them all the way to the lands though. I used Hornady's called for seating depth. Maybe I need to revisit it with some seating changes. But that was early in my reloading career. Now having 25-06, .270, .260, and .308 that all shoot heavy bullets well. I doubt I'll ever change my 58 grain load, unless I need to eventually for the Kiddo.

Back