Awesome Stand

dustinyotes

This past Saturday I had one of the funnest and exciting coyote hunting experiences I have had to date, sorry in advance for the long explanation but I've got to tell the whole story.

I have a spot that I have been hunting coyotes for years and I have killed several coyotes there every year. In this area there are two canyons that join into one larger canyon (think of it as a Y shape of canyons). When I hunt this area I will call into one of the smaller canyons at the top of the Y and then cross over to the second smaller canyon at the top of the Y and last I will call into the top of the larger canyon where the two smaller canyons join together.

On this morning I took my decoy dog Jo and my son's dog in training Trigger (my son was not with me because the mattress monster would not let go of him and he chose to sleep in). As soon as we got out of the truck I heard several coyotes howling at the top of the big canyon where the smaller canyons join together. I checked the wind and we dropped into the canyon that I thought would be the best to call the coyotes to us without them getting our wind. I called there for about 25 minutes with no sign of coyotes.

I decided to walk over to the second of the smaller canyons to see if the coyotes had dropped into this canyon and on our way I saw a coyote cross over the ridge back into the canyon that we just left but I knew there were more coyotes in the area and likely in the canyon that this coyote just came out of.

I got set up on the end of the second canyon and had a great view of the other side of the canyon (all sage brush and rocks) and turned on a coyote pair howl on my Foxpro. Immediately I got a response from the far side of the canyon (approx 600 to 700 yards) and Jo headed off toward the coyote. When Jo got about 100 yards down our side of the canyon a second coyote started to howl to our left just around the corner of the canyon out of site. Jo turned and headed toward that coyote and soon I could hear the coyote barking at Jo. They went down into the big canyon and then up the bottom of the smaller canyon that I was sitting on. This is the first time that my son's dog, Trigger, has seen a live coyote and she went nuts when she saw that coyote chasing Jo. Trigger would bark and growl and charge down the hill toward the coyote for about 100 yards and then come back to me. I hit the coyote pup distress on the Foxpro and the coyote came running up the hill with Jo right behind it and they ran right past me and trigger and over the hill back to the smaller canyon we had just came from.

At this time the first coyote that howled across the canyon started to howl again but I decided to walk over the hill to see if I could get a shot at the coyote that Jo was after. When I got to the other canyon I looked at Jo's GPS signal and she and the coyote were back in the big canyon and headed back to were I was sitting when Jo first went after this coyote. I thought to myself that Jo was bringing the coyote back to me where I was and I won't be there when she gets there. So I headed back over the hill to were I was last sitting.

When I get there I see Jo and the coyote and Jo is decoying the coyote up the far side of the canyon away from me. I knew that this was not what Jo typically does when she has a coyote in tow to not come back to me so I thought I would watch and see what she was up to. When Jo got about 700 yards away from me on the far side of the canyon she found the second coyote that was howling earlier and then turned and started bringing both coyotes back to me. I think this was the most proud that I have ever been of my dog, I was amazed that she would think to go find that second coyote when she already had one very ticked off coyote following her.

As they came down the canyon toward me the two coyotes stopped at the bottom at a large wash, Jo kept crossing back over to them but the coyotes didn't want to cross over. I looked at Jo's GPS signal and it said she was 350 yards away so I waited for a shot on one of the coyotes and let a bullet fly. I didn't hold enough for the wind and hit the coyote just behind the rib cage and it jumped down into the wash and Jo dove in after it. I could hear a pretty good fight going on but could not see into the wash from where I was. The second coyote started to run off at the shot but turned back when it heard the fight and when it got close to the wash I toned Jo and she came out of the wash with the second coyote following her. At about 250 yards the coyote started to hold up again so I dropped the second coyote. Please keep in mind that while all this was going on I had my son's dog Trigger that kept charging down the hill barking and growling for about 100 yards or so and then come running back to me having a fit that those coyotes were chasing Jo.

This is the second coyote that I shot.

This is what I found of the first coyote, after I toned Jo it got away down the wash.

And here is Trigger still barking and growling and not able to figure out this game. I think she will make a great decoy dog with a little more time.

Jo's battle wounds.

1689.gif

Great hunt. Thanks for sharing. Betcha super glue won't keep Hayden in the rack next time you mention going hunting.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Incredible hunt and great story telling. I could picture it all as if I were there (wish I had been lol!)

Originally Posted By: MatlockThem decoy dogs definitely seem like something special. Great story, thanks for sharing it all.

These dogs are a lot of fun, it sure makes hunting coyotes a lot more fun as well.

Back