Barrel question

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Catdog1 Yes, for some reason they are not advertising, or have a web page, I can get you a contact number from the accuracte shooter site if your interested. ABC stands for American Barrel Company. Like you evertime i have ever tried to google them all that comes up is barrels for agin wine and liquor...lol

Ah! OK then. And I dont need nothing for help age wine and liquor. I need something to keep ME from ageing so fast! I sent a pm for some contact info, hopefully ill have some info soon.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a buddy that claims the inside of a Savage barrel looks like an old sewer pipe. Amazing that they shoot so good.

My reason for the original question is "Someday", for my last hurrah,I'd like to build/have built, a really nice hunting rifle. Its all just a pipe dream now but someday!! I would really like to get a "great" barrel for it.
A friend of mine and writer for PS Mag, the late Bob Jourdan, had a Savage Low Profile Varmint in 204 Ruger. He showed me some groups, appox 30 different loads, averaged around .570" for 5 shots. He told me that was very impressive for a factory rifle, but knew he could milk more out of the cartridge with a Hart Barrel. About a year later i stopped by to see him and had remembered to ask him about that project. He pulled out about 40 groups from the 204 Hart barrel. They averaged .490".... Sometimes better is just a few hundred dollars away.

Ive seen buddys spend thousands of dollars just to gain 10hp on a hotrod.

Though Bob did achive better I dont know if it was worth it. IMO, I dont worry about switching a barrel until its accuracy falls beyond my expectations. And like you, I also dream of a day when I finally have enough reason to get myself a "Custom Barrel". The need has just not risen enough to justify the expense.

I knew Bob. He built me a 243AI with a Hart barrel. Built several rifles for friends also. Fantastic man he was. He taught me so much.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1 I sent a pm for some contact info, hopefully ill have some info soon.

Very good. My .17 HMR, .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .221 FB, .223, .223 AI, .220 Swift and .243 AI all have aftermarket barrels and only two from the same maker. At the moment I am not in the market for a new barrel for anything but since I have been lucky so far never to have bought a bad one I am willing to try someone new in the future perhaps.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI wonder what happened to all of Bob's equipment and inventory after he passed?? pm sent

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm just curious as to what the best barrel on the market is today. I'm aware of the top name brands and best bang for the buck barrels. But IYO, what is the top of the heap, best of the best barrel today. Not by price,but by quality!!

There is no, "one", best barrel company out there. When it comes to barrels, we are very fortunate because I believe there is probably no less than ten different barrel companies that produce equally excellent barrels.

I think I've used 7 or 8 different brands of barrels and so far, I've yet to get a bad one. My personal favs for button cut barrels are Hart and Broughton but I've used quite a few others and they were excellent too. For single point cut barrels, Krieger and Brux are at the top of my personal favs list but I would have zero concern using many others as well.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm just curious as to what the best barrel on the market is today. I'm aware of the top name brands and best bang for the buck barrels. But IYO, what is the top of the heap, best of the best barrel today. Not by price,but by quality!!

There is no, "one", best barrel company out there. When it comes to barrels, we are very fortunate because I believe there is probably no less than ten different barrel companies that produce equally excellent barrels.

I think I've used 7 or 8 different brands of barrels and so far, I've yet to get a bad one. My personal favs for button cut barrels are Hart and Broughton but I've used quite a few others and they were excellent too. For single point cut barrels, Krieger and Brux are at the top of my personal favs list but I would have zero concern using many others as well.

This sums it up pretty well. You have to be pretty unlucky to not get a good custom barrel with today's technology.

I think technology has a lot to do with it these days. Seems even the budget barrels shoot pretty dang good. Better steel, better machines and better tooling.

I really cant say who makes the best but i really like Pac-Nor. When i looked at having them do mine i liked the fact that they guranted the dimensions.And they bought a $1 million dollar Sunning honing machine awhile back. Also i thought Hart barrels were pull buttoned not cut-rifled.

I've owned a few of Rock, Shilen SM, Heart, Bartlein, Broughton, Brux, Obermeyer, Proof, K&P, Muller Workx, and Hardy. All have been very Very good.
We're currently running the Hardy Rifle Engineering Carbon barrels with an 8 twist and 6R Rifling, cut to 18" with our custom OPS contour on the new MK1 22-250's. All three barrels when indexed were under .001 with one at .0005 runout which is superb. Some of the best shooting barrels I've used to date.

If I ever do a CF wrapped barrel, it'll be a Hardy barrel. Biggest problem with them is there aren't many dealers for Hardy barrels here in the states.

Skinney, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Hardy CF wrapped barrel???

Originally Posted By: hunter243sgk Also i thought Hart barrels were pull buttoned not cut-rifled.

I believe Hart barrels are actually pushed button.

I refer to them as button cut, whether it's pushed or pulled, but that, technically, may not be the proper way of describing it but IMO whenever you say button cut most everyone knows what you're talking about.

Originally Posted By: B23If I ever do a CF wrapped barrel, it'll be a Hardy barrel. Biggest problem with them is there aren't many dealers for Hardy barrels here in the states.

Skinney, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Hardy CF wrapped barrel???

I got myself into a dealership with them... at least for a year or so... Lots of import BS just for a blank, 4587 and form 6's for the barrels, but if I get enough it's worth it... I've done one order so far for 9 barrels, and I don't plan on inventorying them since there is a huge variance in customers needs and wants. My plan is to get 10 guys to order and split shipping costs to make it economical (since one shipment ie. 1 barrel or 10 is 200.00 US$). Phenomenal barrels, super super hi quality, the fella who set them up and got their plant lined out is the fella who was in oversight of the barrels who were put on AI rigs... That'll tell ya something.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI've owned a few of Rock, Shilen SM, Heart, Bartlein, Broughton, Brux, Obermeyer, Proof, K&P, Muller Workx, and Hardy. All have been very Very good.
We're currently running the Hardy Rifle Engineering Carbon barrels with an 8 twist and 6R Rifling, cut to 18" with our custom OPS contour on the new MK1 22-250's. All three barrels when indexed were under .001 with one at .0005 runout which is superb. Some of the best shooting barrels I've used to date.

Have you only used their CF wrapped barrels or have you used any of their non wrapped barrels as well?

About how long did/does it take to get a Hardy CF wrapped barrel from the time you placed your order till you received it in hand???

Do you plan on putting together an order in the near future or have you already and are done?

Originally Posted By: B23

Have you only used their CF wrapped barrels or have you used any of their non wrapped barrels as well?

About how long did/does it take to get a Hardy CF wrapped barrel from the time you placed your order till you received it in hand???

Do you plan on putting together an order in the near future or have you already and are done?

Yes I've only used the CF wrapped barrels, 3 to be exact.

Begging to end, it took me about 6 months to get the first order rolling, a lot was to do with me getting the ATF stuff lined out regarding the Form 6 etc. I would "assume" using that term loosely that the next go round would be significantly quicker since I have my 4587 and am more familiarized with the form 6's. Dan has been very good in working with me, and usually will push us up in production, which usually takes a few weeks to a month.

I'm always planning on putting orders together if there is demand for the product, unfortunately most here on this sight will laugh at an $800+ barrel, especially just to shoot a Coyote
wink.gif

The Lilja barrels are what I have put on my custom guns. I had really good success on the first build with a Lilja barrel and have stayed with them since.

Back