Well, its true, Everyone's Got Their Price

hm1996

Staff member
Well, I've been lusting for a bore scope for some time and the stars aligned when Brownell's & Lyman combined to make an offer I just couldn't refuse:

Brownell's had the Lyman Borecam on sale for $219.99

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...507-167243.aspx

Hmmm, tempted.

Same day, I received an email from Brownells offering $20 off any $200 purchase + FREE shipping.

Seriously tempted now.

Then I noticed Lyman has a $25 rebate on their bore cam & several of their other products as well through end of Aug. and that did it!

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Rebates/Summer_Rebate_Redemption_form.01.pdf

UPS just dropped off my $175 bore scope so I've got plans this weekend.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

I've got the same unit and though it may not be as good as the Hawkeye units, it gets the job done just fine for what I use it for and you certainly can't argue about the price. I'm sure you'll like it a lot.

When I got mine I learned my cleaning routine needed some reconsideration. I have also learned that I can't tell if a barrel will shoot good or not, but I can sometimes determine why a barrel isn't shooting well.

I'm glad I got one.

Having a bore scope will certainly make you anal about your barrels....But it may save you a potential injury...

When I got my Hawkeye a couple of years ago, I found a interior stress crack in my .308 and wound up with a new barrel...My gunsmith said that one of two things were likely to have happened if I had continued shooting with it in that condition...1) The barrel would just fall off at the crack after a shot and the bullet had passed the crack, or 2) The barrel would have broken on firing and the bullet would have blown it the rest of the way off with a bunch of potential damage to me...

There was no indication of a problem from an exterior inspection....

I looked up the Lyman scope and there were no specs on the Brownell site as to the length of the wand, but it should do you well under most circumstances...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleHaving a bore scope will certainly make you anal about your barrels....But it may save you a potential injury...

When I got my Hawkeye a couple of years ago, I found a interior stress crack in my .308 and wound up with a new barrel...My gunsmith said that one of two things were likely to have happened if I had continued shooting with it in that condition...1) The barrel would just fall off at the crack after a shot and the bullet had passed the crack, or 2) The barrel would have broken on firing and the bullet would have blown it the rest of the way off with a bunch of potential damage to me...

There was no indication of a problem from an exterior inspection....

I looked up the Lyman scope and there were no specs on the Brownell site as to the length of the wand, but it should do you well under most circumstances...

The rod is 20", OT. It is not as clear as the Hawkeye for sure. A friend brought his Lyman down a couple of weeks ago and I had the opportunity to look at several of my rifles, especially one I was having a bit of a problem with. It was really picky on the bullets it liked. I finally found three bullets that cover my particular needs for that rifle, but suspected the bore might have been fouled in spite of my thorough cleaning after every range trip.

Before my friend brought his scope, I had finished load development and gave the bore a very aggressive scrubbing using Gold Medallion and JB paste alternately. The scope revealed what I assume to be a typical Savage (and probably other brands, as well) factory barrel. (Every Savage I have or have owned collected copper rather rapidly, but shot very well (

Back