22 Grendel

ackleyman

Met up with an internet buddy, Dan two weeks ago. Older dude like me that shoots F Class competition seriously. He told me of a round that I had never heard of, a 22 Grendel. Dave is no BS'er. He told me he and several other guys are shooting the 80g Bergers at 3400 fps...my good ness that is an efficient case.

I don't know the particulars on how long a bbl he is shooting , but this may be one heck of a round. I will try and find out more. The Grendel is a non typical bolt head size(ppc size), but bolts are easily converted, and AR's are especially no problem.

That's pretty fast for sure with 80. It approaches my 50's in some of my loading with the 22 LBC although mine are pretty conservative in most areas. It is a nice round for sure that Ritch and I have dabbled with over the years.

Potentially it would certainly be a viable offering in F-Class would be an interesting one to run. Too bad with all the Grendel varmints we are in Open running against the bigger ones. I prefer the 243 version but I do happen to have a 24" 22 LBC on an upper ready to go.....hmmm I'll have to do some computer modeling later today.

If you could get their load data I would appreciate it.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg, this is all new to me, being more of short range shooter, love to hear your input. I have a couple of 6ppc benchrest rifles that I would like to make an improvement on some longer range shooting.

I don't know the particulars on what my friend Dave is shooting as far as a load, but he is more of an accuracy freek than a speed freek. Also, Dave is getting up there in years, recoil is probably an issue for him. Lots of the older dudes love the Pip squeak recoil, and they just take a hit when the wind kicks up.

Last edited:
I shoot in a local 200 yard varmint benchrest competition I'm building a 22 LBC in Ar 15 and a 22 BR on a savage action planning on shooting 70 to 80 grain bullets hope they workout good.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesI guess with all the hoopla over the 6 Grinch, a 22 caliber is the next hot thing.

It's been around for quite some time. I like the 22X6.8 as well as it is a hammer too but the brass sucks compared to the Lapua.

Greg

Originally Posted By: bc83I shoot in a local 200 yard varmint benchrest competition I'm building a 22 LBC in Ar 15 and a 22 BR on a savage action planning on shooting 70 to 80 grain bullets hope they workout good.

You may want to consider a 22 Dasher, it is a monster with the 80 & 90g bullets...no kidding!

Robert Whitley has been selling .22 Grendel rifles and dies for years. He calls the cartridge the a .224 AR. His load data and test results are posted on his website here .224 AR

I almost got one, but I am really considering the .22 Beast instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman He told me he and several other guys are shooting the 80g Bergers at 3400 fps...my goodness that is an efficient case.

I would be very suspicious of those velocity figures since he is stating they are getting the same speeds with a case that uses 28grs of powder as they are with other rounds doing the same thing with the same bullet that use 47grs.

22 Dasher has long proved to shoot the 75-80g bullets at 3400-3550 with H4350 and 2000MR.

The gentleman that told me of the information on the 22 Grendel is trustworthy.

Also, the 22 Grendel is bases off a 220 Russian case head, but I also do not know how long the barrel is also.

I think that my friend is shooting 75's in a long barrel.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is, the .22-250 can't push 80gr bullets that fast, and it uses 8-10grs more powder. The .22 Cheetah can get to 3500fps with 20grs more powder, as will the various 22-6mm cartridges. Even the .224 AR only gets 3000fps with an 80gr bullet with 1 listed load, and the 6.5 Grendel only gets 2600fps with a 100gr bullet.

I think somebody is trying to sell your buddy a rifle
smile.gif

The 22 Dasher will get the 75's at 3450-3500 with about 36.0g of MR2000.

I don't know any particulars on the 22 Grendel, they may have ai'd it and blown the shoulder forward...I don't know.

Remember, my buddy is probably running a 28-30" barrel and velocity numbers for AR's are in the 20" area. 10" of barrel is probably worth 200 fps, but that is a WAG!

Could be my friend bought some swamp land, hope to hear from him on this. His shooting 1.5" groups is no BS, however. You have to have something on the ball to shoot like that.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanThe 22 Dasher will get the 75's at 3450-3500 with about 36.0g of MR2000.

I don't know any particulars on the 22 Grendel, they may have ai'd it and blown the shoulder forward...I don't know.

Remember, my buddy is probably running a 28-30" barrel and velocity numbers for AR's are in the 20" area. 10" of barrel is probably worth 200 fps, but that is a WAG!

Could be my friend bought some swamp land, hope to hear from him on this. His shooting 1.5" groups is no BS, however. You have to have something on the ball to shoot like that. did you ever hear back on this

Back