speer 50gr TNT's?

Joe44m

Has anyone used the 50gr speer TNT's on coyotes? I have a .223 that will shoot them pretty well at 2900fps. Will this bullet enter and not exit at this velocity, or is it messy? If this bullet isn't your favorite, which one is and at what velocity/range does it work well?

Thanks,

Joe

I had bad experiences with the TNT for yotes.....fine for crows etc.....but excessively explosive for yotes.....it fails to penetrate...causing severe surface wounds, but sometimes fails to be immediately lethal...just my experiences.....I went to a 55 gr. Vmax and have been very satisfied at 250 - 300 yards and in....if futher than that, I go to .243 or 25/06

Joe

I just started loading them this summer, so don't have any coyote experience with them. I can tell you that they are extremely accurate in both 22-250's and my 700 adl .223. Prarie dogs east of Sheridan Wy. will tell you they are bad news:)

This is the very 1st prarie dog I shot with a TNT I would say it exploded I have never shot a song dog with one but just backing up your statement about the prarie dogs not liking them

Img0401.jpg

I currently handload a 55gr Hornaday SP for coyotes for my .223. All of my shots/kills have been under 100 yds and have been "bang/flop". My muzzle velosity is about 3100. These bullets are very accurate in my NEF. I have never used the TNT's.

I am with Arky on yote hunting with TNT's, they can make a woodchuck's head pop like a melon but, a yote? The only shots that I would take with them would be on the head and neck. I was groundhog hunting in PA a few years ago and shot a coyote that wondered into the field I was hunting. I had a great shot on him with my .223, never found it. It was a good shot... lots of blood... no yote. I even found a 2 inch square patch of flesh! I tracked him into a huge swamp and didn't feel like going knee deep in mud over a late July coyote.

In a quest to find a bullet that would not exit a coyote, I loaded them for my 10" 223 contender. They do exit at handgun velocities. They punch a hole about 50 cent piece in diameter, not to bad in my opinion. Accurate as can be.
Harvey7

Hi you know if that do that much to a p. dog. They not going to do very much to a coyote. ARKY is right they are a good crow bullet. I havent shot any v-maxs I know they are a good bullet. I bought some to reload but havnt done it yet. I shoot a Nosler 50gr out of my 223 and s 55gr out of my 22 250. VM

The 50gr. TNT's that I have used on coyotes have been devastating on fur. I went to the 50gr php rem no pelt damage yet small hole in exit hole out and my 222 loves them and they are cheap.

I use a Sierra 55gr Game King in my 223. The soft point spitzer design seems to work very well. Yes it exits but it is not messy and if I do my part it is bang-flop even if a bone is encountered. I am sure it will work at longer ranges but I have not shot anything past 150 yards with it yet. I load it right at 3050 with WW748......try it you'll like it.

Last edited:
Back