TC or Howa?

000shock

Im stuck in a dilemma...been eyeing a few 204 ruger rifles now, and was almost ready to get a howa classic laminate varminter ($600 +tax) at my lgs. However, ive also really liked the tc bolt actions also. Now i can order a tc compass with a weaver 3-9x40 (would be replaced) and a hard rifle case for $325 shipped! The tc also has a $75 mail in rebate, bringing it to $250! (Both tc prices corrected).

I know the stock on the howa is awesome, but it would be a pig to pack around. Nothing special about the tc stock, but 1:10 twist will shoot 40-45 gr bullets better.

So which would you go for and why? Would be shooting prairie dogs and maybe coyotes in nodak. Thanks for responses everyone!

Last edited:
Discounting the stocks and commenting on action & barrel only, I'd go with something from Howa over the T/C anytime.

i have owned both. the t/c a venture model chambered .204. the howa chambered in .223.

the howa did shoot good but never could warm up to it. and really don't know why. it never did like me and i did not like it. lol no longer have it.

the t/c shoots better than the howa. shoots very good in fact. it likes me and i like it. still have it and real happy with it.

i would like to try a t/c compass. just to see for myself. i wish you would buy one so i dont have to.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GCDiscounting the stocks and commenting on action & barrel only, I'd go with something from Howa over the T/C anytime. I know howa has an awesome history with their actions. Theres a good reason so many companys have used the 1500 as a launch pad for a rifle! Even at these price points though, still howa over the tc? Thats the big thing thats making me think more, otherwise the howa would already be in the safe.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti have owned both. the t/c a venture model chambered .204. the howa chambered in .223.

the howa did shoot good but never could warm up to it. and really don't know why. it never did like me and i did not like it. lol no longer have it.

the t/c shoots better than the howa. shoots very good in fact. it likes me and i like it. still have it and real happy with it.

i would like to try a t/c compass. just to see for myself. i wish you would buy one so i dont have to.
smile.gif
I was really hoping to find a venture predator locally, but closest i could get was a .308 at a pawn shop. I loved the rifle, just wrong caliber. Was your howa a composite stock or laminate? I thot the laminate was like resting my head on a pillow it felt so nice! Money out the window, if the howa was a 1:10 twist i would go for it. Getting the compass so cheap for plinkin varmints is hard to pass up though.

The tc shoots better as in more accurate, more comfortable, more reliable? How do ya mean?

Last edited:
I used a TC venture predator in 22-250 but last fall switched to a howa ranchland compact in 22-250 and am quite satisfied. My primary reasons were bolt smoothness, overall length and ammo capacity. From a grouping perspective I don't see much difference.

Yea, i really cant argue against how nice the howa is. Smooth action, great feel, and the heavy bbl is great for accuracy (my savage 17hmr is anyways). Being a soldier in the past and hiking to camp spots im used to packing some weight, but the almost 10# the howa weighs might get old. I might just not care though if its a great rifle. The compass i havent been able to fondle yet though. The action and trigger on the venture predator i was happy with, but the compass i can only go by what ive read online.

The more i think, im prob going to go with the tc and give it a chance. At $250, i can prob sell it for the same im buying it for and get the howa if that happens.

Im still up for hearing about experiences and opinions though. Keep em commin! Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: BAMITRUGER...:)
Might sound dumb, but im trying to not get a rifle from a manufacturer i already have or plan on getting! Im planning for a RAP in .243 for a general purpose rifle also, after i raise a little more money. Coyotes when fur doesnt matter, deer when the kids get a little older, and ringin steel now and again.

Just want to get experience from a little of everywhere and form my own good opinions or nightmares!

Howa Mini 204 Ruger. Had it for a year and really like it. Lightweight and short. 20" barrel. Of course I'm getting it threaded and suppressed. Here good things about TC but, never owned one. Rudy

Own Howa talon heavy barrel in 243, Howa 270 stainless in Boyd's stock, and Howa 30-06 stainless in Walnut stock.

All 3 shoot awesome.

I owned a 204 TC venture predator that shot great. It had somethimg wrong in chamber because fired brass had a big scratch upon extraction. Wasn't a big fan of 204 so I sold it.

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaHowa Mini 204 Ruger. Had it for a year and really like it. Lightweight and short. 20" barrel. Of course I'm getting it threaded and suppressed. Here good things about TC but, never owned one. Rudy The compass being threaded is another thing i like about it. Wont be for a bit anyways, but a supressor is in the plans also. The mini action howas ive read about and kinda considered, but i would just take the varminter that i can walk out with at the same price.

Originally Posted By: Hayabusa1321Own Howa talon heavy barrel in 243, Howa 270 stainless in Boyd's stock, and Howa 30-06 stainless in Walnut stock.

All 3 shoot awesome.

I owned a 204 TC venture predator that shot great. It had somethimg wrong in chamber because fired brass had a big scratch upon extraction. Wasn't a big fan of 204 so I sold it. Ive seen pics and heard about the chamber scratching brass from the ventures. My guess, along with many others ive read, is they over used a chamber bit and thats the result. If you still had it i would say let them know, but obviously not your prob anymore! Glad to hear it shot great at least!

The T/C Compass is going to be a budget rifle, even more than the Venture was. Not taking anything away from either rifle. I've had several Encores and they were the flagship for T/C for years. No doubt, any of the T/C's will probably be decent rifles and serve you well but one thing I can say for sure, their customer service SUCKS! Pray you never have to deal with them.I've had a few Howa's but never had to deal with their CS cause I never had a problem so I can't say how they are. Good luck on your choice!

At least the TC compass does not use the single stack mag like the venture,icon and dimension. That is the only thing I do not care for. I can only get 2 cartridges in the 22-250,30tc and 338 wm magazine. But have not missed a first shot with any of them.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootAt least the TC compass does not use the single stack mag like the venture,icon and dimension. That is the only thing I do not care for. I can only get 2 cartridges in the 22-250,30tc and 338 wm magazine. But have not missed a first shot with any of them. Agreed. Im not lookin at the tc compass because they sponsor him, but i just watched a video of les johnson shooting his and he mentioned the same thing about the compass vs the VP. 1 shot kills should always be the goal, but not always going to be the case. And the couple extra rounds if multiples come in is handy also im sure.

I have a venture in 22-250 and it is probably the most accurate gun I own. It shoots 1/4 MOA after trigger job and load development. I'm a big fan of them but I'm probably going to be buying one of the Howa 1500 barreled actions to do something with.

Originally Posted By: EastexI have a venture in 22-250 and it is probably the most accurate gun I own. It shoots 1/4 MOA after trigger job and load development. I'm a big fan of them but I'm probably going to be buying one of the Howa 1500 barreled actions to do something with. Haha...wish i could just buy a barreled action and build a rifle, then find something to do with it! I try and multi task as many of my weapons as i can. Glad to hear more good words about tc though.

I have never owned or had the chance to shoot the Howa. I'm sure they are are a good rifle. Lots of people own them and I haven't heard many people say bad things about them. I do own 2 T/C Ventures. One in 243 Winchester and the other in 30-06. Both shoot close to 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I like the way they are built. Quality actions. Love the 60 degree bolt throw. No problems with scope clearance.
Hard to go wrong with them.

Robert

Grrr...compass hasnt been in stock since my last post and doesnt look like they are in a hurry to get another. Getting impatient and the howa is looking better and better. gonna try and hold out until their sale is over but might not be able to.

Anyone ever purchase thru sportsman outdoor superstore (online only retailer)? Reviews online are hit and miss.

Back