Any CO hunters hunt up high for coyotes?

AR15

Any of you guys had any luck calling above 9000ft for coyotes? How about up by tree line? I am just starting to get serious about coyote hunting and most of the land I have access to is pretty high up. I was just wondering if the population is such that it makes sense to hunt up high. Thanks!

I've shot them at about 7000ft but haven't called up at 9000ft but have heard of them being up that high. I would guess they'll be anywhere where they can get food and water.

I've called coyotes above and east of Buena Vista and done OK. Also called coyotes in the Gunnison Nat. Forest, south of Gunnison and done pretty good. I've never called above tree line, and honestly don't care to walk up that much of a mtn. to call, when there's no reason to. The mtn. coyotes are bigger and we always skinned them on the spot because it was to much work to drag one any distance at altitude! I haven't been up there for a few years now, out best day was 2 coyotes and a bob kitty!

We will get Bloodhound in this to tell you what the elevation was on the one we got last feb. Scott where are you? I would say about 8500 or so?

Songdog is right! who wants to hike up that far? is there enough food and water up there to support them? I dont know?

Hey Scott got a new toy, picked up a Jack in the Box for the foxpro. WHOOOO is this thing cool. We gotta field test it now!!

I know there are some around 9000 ft because I have killed a few. I just don't know if this is the exception or if there is a large population high up. I will say that the few I have killed were very large. I will be trying the new FX3 I ordered and will see what happens! As far as hiking up there, the scenery alone is worth it to me. I like to hike the 14ers when I can, and shooting marmots is pretty fun too!

I've seen them pretty often above timberline on Trail Ridge Road. The RMNP rangers had to shoot one a few years ago cause it turned into a potatoe chip yote and (i think accidently) bit a kid on the hand. I saw him up there in the late summer skulking around the tourists. Others I saw were just wandering around coyote style.

I lived in Colorado for 5 years and always found the mountain coyote up high. They're not as numerous as the ones east of the front range but they're there alright. Lot's bigger too.

I also found that cougars answered my calls and they bear WATCHING!!!

Be careful up there...

$bob$

I will be out hunting with my new FX3 in a few weeks and will report back with results. I will be around the Fairplay, and Guffey areas.

I got a response to howls about a month ago from the wide parking area at the top of Loveland Pass, right where the sign says "12,000 ft".

Furhunter...I just got off they BLM website...they list the top of the ridge we were on at 8100 so we were very close to that...If thats correct...It seemed higher.

I was grouse hunting 2 weeks ago at 9800 and saw a bear...but also heard a coyote...and have seen them near timberline...but never called that high. I have a spot that I want to hunt at 9200 on the alpine plateau...I will post on how it goes.

Darby...I am getting the itch...we need to try out the new guns.

Last edited:
I live at 10, 200 ft above sea level and hunt here all the time.. I was bear hunting last week at about 11,000 feet and saw a coyote. Did some lip squeaking and had him run in to about 40 yards. All I had was a head shot, so I took it. My 300 Win Mag and 180 grain Hornady bullets blew the back of his head completely off.. It was amazing.. So yes there are coyotes all over the high country, just not as many as down low.. Also, while i was hunting elk last week, i heard a den of coyotes howling at about 11,000 feet..

A friend and I were talking and we belive the coyotes are smart enough to follow rifle shots during the big game seasons. We think they relate these shots to gut piles?? Our only proof is every time we kill an animal around here by the time we get back to pack it out the coyotes are on the piles??

Mountainyote

Hey Mountainyote, I don't know if this really works, or if the coyotes just never found our downed game or not before we had it all packed out, BUT my uncle told me, and showed me, to take a leak around a downed animal to keep the coyotes from claiming the meat before we were done with it. In all of his years, and mine, we have never had any coyote eat any part of a downed animal that was partially packed out, field dressed, or any thing. We did often have them howling near by, when it was dark, so weather or not the [beeep] kept them off the meat or not, I not positive. It seemed like it did!

Quote:

A friend and I were talking and we belive the coyotes are smart enough to follow rifle shots during the big game seasons. We think they relate these shots to gut piles?? Our only proof is every time we kill an animal around here by the time we get back to pack it out the coyotes are on the piles??

Mountainyote

I will buy into that!! My calling buddy and I try to sound like a gut pile, during the hunting seasons. Lots of bird sounds, bird decoys, etc. seems sometimes thats what finds the pile first if its in the open.

Songdog- Yeah I hear the urine thing works or to leave a t-shirt next to the kill... The yotes smell the human scent from the shirt and don't show.. Also, seems like the coyotes go to the gut piles before they do the animal?? Go figure??

Back