Varmint Hunters Asso, out of Business??

The VHM in my view, was the finest publication of its sort! Am very sad to see it passing. Would love to know why it failed. Anyone know?

Skip

Received a letter dated February 4, 2016 from Clair R. Gerry, the Attorney for the Varmint Hunters Association, Inc. as a Notice to Claimants that said:
1. Varmint Hunters Association , Inc. will be dissolved pursuant to (law quotes).
2. Subscribers to VHA have a right to file a claim against the entity.
There is window of 120 days from date of letter to file a claim.
The letter gives the address to send a claim but indicates the expected distribution is likely to be less than $ 2.00.
The letter had 7 paragraphs.

I sent a letter mainly to ask the attorney to give the former/current VHA officers this message:
It is very disappointing that you did not give any notice or explanation of the closing of the VHA to the many loyal members!

Jim

Last edited:
I was bummed when I got the letter. I think I am only missing 1 and 2 issues. I felt the same way when Small Caliber News and Precision Shooting went belly up.

Greg

The way VHA handled their bankruptcy is an illustration of bad ethics.
Everyone, email your claim into the attorney, no need to let them walk away with money and leave their members/subscribers with the bag.

Richard

I also was a Life Member of the VHA from the beginning. It broke my heart when I received the letter from the Attorney about the dissolution. It feels like being abandoned by an old friend, really because there was no notice of intent or that there was any trouble.
I remember the original publisher who started the VHA started an organization around 1996 or 97 called The Constituional Defense Force. This was in response to the anti-gun policies of the Clinton Administration at the time. I joined up and got a patch and after a few months I received a personal letter from the Publisher. He explained that after forming this organization he was contacted by the IRS and "threatened" with audits of his personal and professional finances if he did not stop this activism. Since there was no degradation of the quality in the publication, I cannot help but wonder if there was an outside influence to the dissolution.

Yeah, hard on the life members. It seems many magazines are having a tough time, though they have their place.

I did keep about all of my back issues, even bought some months I missed over the years. I guess I can just re-read the past issues. Like someone said, they seem about new after a year has gone by.

Hey any of you guys want to trade a few copy's. These are what I have and what I need to complete my collection. Let me know

Magazines Missing

To trade

I will look at my stack and see --

Does anyone have one of the brass buckles I could trade them out of --
PM to me if you have a buckle
Thx

Last edited:
I will miss that publication. I really loved the articles written by members, not some paid writer to pump up this and that product.

I am sure that a lot of mis management lead to their demise. Their member list should be sold or given to another start up group.

It sure would be nice for an explanation of how this or that happened that caused the dissolution of the magazine. Some of the sponsors lost a huge amount of money.

I know I am quite late to this discussion...my first job out of art college was being an illustrator for Varmint Hunters Magazine. I worked for them in 1992-1993 or maybe it was until 1994. Ned Kalbfleish was the leader then. It was great fun. I'd get my packet in the mail for my assignments and ship my art out to OK. Gosh, that was a great start to my career. I'm sorry to here it's gone. I just wanted to thank this forum for letting others know. Lost ere gone by.

Cheers!

Ruby McCormick

Back