34 gr nightmare bullets seating depth and coyote use

dan158

These are shorter than the 35 gr Bergers..
I am trying these out in the 204 and 20 practical.. For those who have used these bullets, what are you seating them at?

And if used for coyotes how did they do? I will try them on coyotes but like to know what others have experienced.. Thank you.. Dan

Most 204R's have a long chamber/throat, so you'll never get close to the lands. I've read where good results have been obtained by loading to whatever the source says they loaded to in load data. YMMV.

I shot some today along with some 35gr bergers and I can put 5 of the nightmares under a dime at 100 also..
But the speed wasn't there with the powder I tried.. Tomorrow I will try some other powders and see what happens then.. I had the 34 gr seated at 1910 off the Ogive.. Dan

Originally Posted By: K22I don't know what powder you used, but they shoot great in mine with IMR8208.

I am getting 3850 now with xbr8208... They do shoot great out my sons rifle.. I haven't shot them out of mine yet. So I don't know how they work on coyotes.. Dan

My Savage M12 with the factory barrel (long gone now -the barrel, not the gun) was very fond of 27.2 grains of Benchmark with the Rem 6 1/2 primer. It shot around 3900 fps and amazed me but shooting 5 shots into less than a half inch. For such an inexpensive bullet it shot great. And prairie dog tosses were something to behold as long as the range was kept 250 yards or less. The big hollow point really made the BC low and it lost speed fast. So....after the 500 round box was gone I did not buy any more of them.

Because there were so explosive on prairie dogs I might be a bit afraid of wounding something larger like a coyote. But if that's what I had loaded and was going coyote hunting then I would take it. Shoot for the ribs and nothing will run off I feel sure. Just keep your distance sane.

The 35gr. Bergers and the 37gr. CRT bullets shoot slightly better and do work for Coyotes, but the 34gr. Noslers (nightmare)are not far behind them. Never tried them on Coyotes..............yet!

Back