"Tactical"

pyscodog

Anybody besides me tired of everything labeled "Tactical"? Bet you can even buy tactical toilet paper. Tactical everything. Jeez, I'm getting tired of that term. Seems you paint it black and all of a sudden its tactical. I guess we got past the "Zombie" craze and now we have to suffer through Tacti-kool. Wonder whats next?
unsure.gif

Last edited:
Ran into two guys going "Coyote Hunting", full mil. camo, complete Alice set up with about 20-30 round mags in pouches, canteen and combat knife taped to the suspender strap. AR's with scopes that must have weighed as much as the rifle. I was surprised no brain bucket just boonie hats. I thought I was interrupting maneuvers. I went back to my car and found another place to hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSRan into two guys going "Coyote Hunting", full mil. camo, complete Alice set up with about 20-30 round mags in pouches, canteen and combat knife taped to the suspender strap. AR's with scopes that must have weighed as much as the rifle. I was surprised no brain bucket just boonie hats. I thought I was interrupting maneuvers. I went back to my car and found another place to hunt.

I thought that I was just "uncool". I've been seeing these guys on youtube, lol. They look combat ready, for sure. But, they say that they are going coyote hunting. I wonder how many coyotes they kill?

I've been saying this for a while now, especially when it comes to predator hunting. Seems like more people are getting into it just so they can sport their 'tactical' rifle in the field while they dress up like GI Joe. No offense to anyone, but it's like people are getting into it for the wrong reasons. I don't know, guess I've got an old school mentality. Love my bolt guns and basic camo. I'm not hunting isis I'm hunting yotes.

Originally Posted By: AWSRan into two guys going "Coyote Hunting", full mil. camo, complete Alice set up with about 20-30 round mags in pouches, canteen and combat knife taped to the suspender strap. AR's with scopes that must have weighed as much as the rifle. I was surprised no brain bucket just boonie hats. I thought I was interrupting maneuvers. I went back to my car and found another place to hunt. So you ran into Skinny also

Last edited:
OK I will be the contrarian here. And just by the way I don't even own an AR and if you saw me in the field you would hardly think I looked tactical. But I do like to be squared away and I do like to be prepared for as many contingencies as possible without feeling like I am too loaded down with gear. I think that is the appeal of the tactical look. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Do some guys over do it. Probably. But the idea behind---being squared away in the field----makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: fitzOK I will be the contrarian here. And just by the way I don't even own an AR and if you saw me in the field you would hardly think I looked tactical. But I do like to be squared away and I do like to be prepared for as many contingencies as possible without feeling like I am too loaded down with gear. I think that is the appeal of the tactical look. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Do some guys over do it. Probably. But the idea behind---being squared away in the field----makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I mean being organized can definitely help to get the game. Military gear is very good well made stuff and since it's usually stolen from the Army it's cheap enough!!! That said, we probably look like a pack of hillbillies going to market when we go out hunting. There is tactical and tacti-cool....the difference being...those guys with the bayonet on the H-harness, tactical...hey, they could call in a bear??? Now, if they had this years Sitka gear camo print on a diaper so they could sit there and keep right on calling and not have to "go behind a tree"....THAT is tacti-cool, buddy...in fact, that even has a little "spec-ops" mixed in!!!! If they did a HALO jump into their first set up.....that, my boy, is black ops!!! They could tell us whether or not they got a coyote...but then they'd have to kill us!!!!

Edit: this makes me think of what a guy told me once...he said, "fewer than 90 Navy seals served in the Vietnam war...and so far, I've met 42,000 of them!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527It gets old, got old for me a long time ago. I do like my 5.11 "tactical" pants though.

Me too! But I don't have any Tactical pants.

Originally Posted By: msincOriginally Posted By: fitzOK I will be the contrarian here. And just by the way I don't even own an AR and if you saw me in the field you would hardly think I looked tactical. But I do like to be squared away and I do like to be prepared for as many contingencies as possible without feeling like I am too loaded down with gear. I think that is the appeal of the tactical look. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Do some guys over do it. Probably. But the idea behind---being squared away in the field----makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I mean being organized can definitely help to get the game. Military gear is very good well made stuff and since it's usually stolen from the Army it's cheap enough!!! That said, we probably look like a pack of hillbillies going to market when we go out hunting. There is tactical and tacti-cool....the difference being...those guys with the bayonet on the H-harness, tactical...hey, they could call in a bear??? Now, if they had this years Sitka gear camo print on a diaper so they could sit there and keep right on calling and not have to "go behind a tree"....THAT is tacti-cool, buddy...in fact, that even has a little "spec-ops" mixed in!!!! If they did a HALO jump into their first set up.....that, my boy, is black ops!!! They could tell us whether or not they got a coyote...but then they'd have to kill us!!!!

Edit: this makes me think of what a guy told me once...he said, "fewer than 90 Navy seals served in the Vietnam war...and so far, I've met 42,000 of them!!!

While there is nothing wrong with being squared away, Tacti-cool Teddies don't do it for that reason. They do it to LOOK cool. We call them Wanna-be's. I have seen them at matches, I have seen them in the field. Want to see a bunch of them? Go to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops and follow the sound of the call. You will see a herd of them collecting around the FoxPro display. They will be discussing what kind of gear that you MUST have to hunt predators, and every one of them has to sound like THE authority on predator hunting. Invariably it involves a plate carrier, 400 magazine pouches, a Ukranian 37mm flare launcher look alike M203, etc...

AzBushman and I took a guy out predator hunting. In the week leading up to the hunt he was pestering us about what ammunition to buy, what gear to bring, etc. So on the appointed day he shows up with 1,000 rounds in an ammo box, 2 bags worth of gear and...wait for it...body ARMOR!!! We laughed so hard!! BODY ARMOR!! To hunt predators. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

I am all for using equipment because it works regardless of where it comes from. Certainly there is gear from the military that works and can/should be used. But not just because it "looks" cool. That is Tacti-cool.

Tactical is a fad like anything else. Zombies, Pokemon, the latest cell phone, Obammy...

Quote:AzBushman and I took a guy out predator hunting. In the week leading up to the hunt he was pestering us about what ammunition to buy, what gear to bring, etc. So on the appointed day he shows up with 1,000 rounds in an ammo box, 2 bags worth of gear and...wait for it...body ARMOR!!! We laughed so hard!! BODY ARMOR!! To hunt predators. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

so you guys were not very clear when telling the new guy what he needed?

the new guy did not understand what you were telling him?

or a little of both?
lol.gif

The secret is to simplify. It makes it a much more enjoyable experience not having to haul around a bunch of useless gear. If you are going out on an extended stay in the woods, that's a different story all together. But if you are only walking an 1/8-1/4 mile to your set you don't need all that extra crap. I've hunted with people that want to bring everything but the kitchen sink out to the set with them. I almost want to be like the guy in the movie Platoon that grabs the one guys pack and just starts tossing stuff from it on the ground while saying, " you don't need this, you don't need that, you don't need this." LOL

Back