What's the better light for night hunting?

dawgkiller

I'm looking at the Wicked Lights W403ic and the Night Master Esearcher light and can't decide on which one to get. The Esearcher uses two batteries, which I like better and has reviews that makes me believe that it has a stronger pinpoint beam. Have any of you had experience with these lights and if so, what are your opinions? I've been using the XLR-250 Kill Light for about five years and it's time to upgrade. I want to use a red led so I need a powerful light for target identification at 200 yards. Thanks for your help.

I have no experience with either but both will be an huge upgrade to the XLR250. The 250 became outdated within the year it came to market.

The bigger the lens diameter the tighter, brighter and smaller the beam when fully focused. With only a 3mm difference in the lens of these lights it would make little difference. When fully focused both will project a square red image smaller than the field of view your scope. I find this annoying and back off my light to fill the FOV of my scope. I've never run my red lights or my IR fully focused. FOV gets discussed on scopes all the time, you want the most FOV you can get. Why would you then hunt with a light beam that fills less than 100% of that FOV.

You can only drive an LED so hard before it fails so neither IMO would drive the LED harder than the manufacturer recommends or risk warranty issues.

The 2 batteries in the Nightmaster will run longer, but if your only using it to shoot run time isn't an issue I'd worry about.

Last edited:
@ Pmack, thanks for your feedback. You make a good point about the FOV. I look forward to upgrading with one of these lights. Probably the Wicked Lights light. Thanks again.

With a 40mm head the Fenix is similar to a T20 in size. With lens diameter a little more than 1/2 the OPs comparison lights it will not throw nearly as far.

Take a look at sniperhog lights. They are actually what wicked copied to come up with their light. Awesome quality and customer service is great. Best of luck with whatever you go with

Originally Posted By: BmelvinTake a look at sniperhog lights. They are actually what wicked copied to come up with their light. Awesome quality and customer service is great. Best of luck with whatever you go with

@BMelvin: Thanks, I'll check Sniperlights out.

Thanks everyone.

You wouldn't go wrong with the USA made coyotelight. I couldn't find a bad review, that's when I bought mine ! coyotelight.com
Happy shopping !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pa. MickYou wouldn't go wrong with the USA made coyotelight. I couldn't find a bad review, that's when I bought mine ! coyotelight.com
Happy shopping !

Thanks, I'll check them out also!!

Coyote light is for sure the best hands down. But for that price it only pays if you are going to be shooting very long distances.

Back