Farm Coyote on Trail Cam...Question

Rusty Black

Since I've put my trail cams out on my 100 acres of my property.I realized ,I have aleast one coyote on the property and I didn't get any fawn's on my cams..and im thinking maybe this male has been takening them down..and this coyote is roaming around starting at 2pm in the afternoon...no evidence found from him...but why is this coyote roaming so early....even watched him stalk groundhogs.He seems to be brave around the farm....Im thinking about taking him out.Rusty

Originally Posted By: old catwould have already done it.

Yep... And I would not to much thought in it before hand... Other than how I was going to set up
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: Rusty BlackSince I've put my trail cams out on my 100 acres of my property.I realized ,I have aleast one coyote on the property and I didn't get any fawn's on my cams..and im thinking maybe this male has been takening them down..and this coyote is roaming around starting at 2pm in the afternoon...no evidence found from him...but why is this coyote roaming so early....even watched him stalk groundhogs.He seems to be brave around the farm....Im thinking about taking him out.Rusty

One hundred acres is a mere drop in the bucket for a coyote's (or a deer's) territory.
Obviously, I don't know how long you have had the camera up.
And I also don't know if you put the camera next to confirmed deer trails.

There could be fawns in the nearby area, but they just haven't been spotted yet.
Or you could very well be correct that coyotes have gotten them.

As far as the coyote "roaming early"....coyotes (just like all animals) will both snooze & move around at various times of each day.
Seeing a coyote hunting at 2 in the afternoon isn't an oddity. At least not where I'm from.

I wish you much success!!!

ok...well the male disappeared and i now have a female on the property...so im thinking theres a pair...got a shot at her last week.but missed her...got her on the trail cams the day after...so. im going to be busy...

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksMy only question would be how to not shoot toward a neighbor. Carefully and use a 22 mag...to the head...besides the neigbors are scared to death at them....so the coyotes have to go.

Since you have two? Try to track/follow/locate the den. Clean up the whole thing by May and you should be good. Howling around midnight should help you locate the den. Get a response a couple of times in the same general area will get you close.

Found a couple of pair the other day and, in the snow, you could see where a male was chasing a deer. Went for at 3/4 mile before he gave up. Deer to healthy for him to catch on a straight run. (I say 'him' because his track was larger than the second one with 'him', and, she really didn't do any outright pursuing of the deer.)

The pictures of the coyotes on my farm shows they move starting an hour or two after sunset, again between 4 and 6 am and again between 8 and 10 am. I consistently get pictures of the coyotes a few days a week at these times. See a lot of rabbit hair in their scat but seldom any deer hair.

You're not too far from me (I'm around the Slippery Rock, Butler area). It's a rare thing to be spotting PA coyotes during the day time as often as you are. Definitely get out there and drop them! Good luck!

With 100 acres, you have options. Be sure of your target and where the bullet goes afterward. These are basic rifle safety rules. Second option, shotgun. Both will dispatch coyotes with authority.

A couple of well place #2 or #3 traps with some Carman's canine call and you can quit worrying about neighbors or being able to hit them with a rifle. Snares are an economical solution to traps and my 11 year old can set them in seconds.

If your watching a coyote, it should be through a scope before you pull the trigger. Cant believe people watch these predators and hesitate to kill them.

Originally Posted By: fish1448 Cant believe people watch these predators and hesitate to kill them.

You mean like this?

Back