Velocity 1000 reticle

Tgunz64

I recently purchased an NXS a couple weeks ago with the velocity reticle. The other day I was on the website where I bought the scope and saw there a several versions of this reticle. I have the HVM reticle but when I put data into the velocity calculator on NF website it recommends the HV.5 reticle. But when I enter another load it recommends a UHV reticle I think. I just want to be able to use this reticle as intended and hope it will work. Any advice or experience from someone with this style would be helpful. Thanks!

Know your load exactly put it into the calculator then check actual distances. Chances are the subtensions aren't going to line up perfectly.

That's right. Those Vel. 1000's will only work well beyond 600ish within a very fine set of load/atmospheric parameters. Don't know if Nightforce offers a ballistics program similar to Nikons SPOT-ON, but that program does give variable subtension changes with magnification changes that could help some, if those optics have the reticle in the second focal plane.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteThat's right. Those Vel. 1000's will only work well beyond 600ish within a very fine set of load/atmospheric parameters. Don't know if Nightforce offers a ballistics program similar to Nikons SPOT-ON, but that program does give variable subtension changes with magnification changes that could help some, if those optics have the reticle in the second focal plane.

Good info there!
Reticle subtensions are usually correct on maximum magnification in F2 scopes.

I talked with NF and he said to try to sight in with the magnification backed off a little bit. He said sometimes that will work. I figured maybe do that and set my zero a little bit further than the calculator recommends. Instead of 200yds on the main crosshair go maybe 210-220yds. Maybe that'll help line up the subtensions. He said the reticle I bought is only one higher than what the calculator said. So it shouldn't be too far off. Just have to get out and shoot and play around with it I guess. Which is easier said than done at this point. Lol

You know another option might be to just map your calculated trajectory (in MOA) out on a piece of cardboard at 100, lay the field of view over it and then adjust the power until the reticle lines up with the calcs., then test to see if it lines up. May not be perfect, but I bet it'd be close.

Guess I'll have to try some of these suggestions. I just wish I knew there were other versions of this reticle when I ordered. It's now too late to do an exchange. Oh well. Worse case scenario I dial in my yardages the old fashion way. Or send it in and pay $350 and they can change the reticle to an MOAR reticle.

Tgunz64,
Dialing is simple.
IF, you have to remember exactly what magnification you have to be on for your Velocity reticle/ballistic reticle to line up correctly while hunting, you will likely make a mistake in the heat of the moment.
IF, you always keep your scope at that exact power, you end up having a fixed power scope, which is not cool when hunting either.
I like ballistic reticles for their intended uses, just in reticles that are in the first focal plane.

Back