Sow Nailed in Backyard

Almost finished with the 520 pound boar skull.

Skull1.JPG

Skull2.JPG

Have not have time for any night hunting since Hurricane Irma's eye went over the farm, lost 15 pounds working cleaning up everything destroyed everywhere, had to call the Forest Service a half dozen times for the large burn piles.

Now that everything is cleaned up, finally had a chance to do some scouting and the hogs are all over the place as usual. Apparently the acorn crop is toast this year after the 90+ mph winds, so hogs are running out of vegetation to root and hitting the feeders heavy.

Last night spotted one 200 yards out with the FLIR LS-XR scanner and took him out with the 6.5mm Grendel SBR with handloaded Hornady 123 grain SST pill, earshot and DRT.

Backyard%20Boar.jpg

Then spotted another with the 556 and FLIR Thermosight @ 100 yards on the 556 with handloaded 77 grain SMK, DRT:

556.JPG

Time to start hunting again!

SP,

I didn't realize how long you'd been gone. We don't usually think of people as far inland as you getting hurricane damage but it sounds like you took it right on the nose...

We got next to NO damage here in the Tallahassee area and consider ourselves lucky.

Glad you're back poundin' dem porkers...
wink.gif

My two hunting leases here in NW Florida are both having hog and bear problems this year and I mean several bears where we had an occasional bear before including sows with cubs. PLUS the hogs have come back with a vengeance which leaves me wishing for a thermal scope to compliment my Pulsar NV scope.

$bob$

The hurricane totally destroyed the acorn crop this year, once the vegetation dies off this fall the hogs will be all over the feeders strong.

SP, have you noticed more hogs post hurricane? My buddies place down there seemed to see influx during hurricane. I would assume due to higher ground.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250SP, have you noticed more hogs post hurricane? My buddies place down there seemed to see influx during hurricane. I would assume due to higher ground.

For sure, the places they’ve been hiding out in all year are now underwater, including where they used to browse, so they have moved out of the inaccessible swamps into the uplands.

The hurricane destroyed this years acorn crop too, so once they run out of vegetation they will really be on the feeders later this fall.

10/4 We are trying to come back down in January. Need to work on a culvert, and hopefully bring bake some pigs. I ran through this years meat in hurry.

Originally Posted By: Bone breaker 73How do you like the Grendel? Just ordered a proof 20" barrel and a JP 6.5 Grendel bolt for a new build.

I have two AA Grendel’s, one 18” and one 12” SBR, they are super light and super accurate, so much so it gets boring ringing my Steel gongs at 200 yards in the backyard with them. They hit the gongs much harder than my 5.56 or .300 BLK too, but not as hard as my .308s.
I have been handloading the Barnes 100 grain TSX and the Hornady 123 grain SST for hogs mostly and they both are super penetrating bullets.
My Grendel’s are my favorite rifles now, love them!

Looked like there were about three sounders groups of 25 total but could not get a bead on them in the dense underbrush until this one stepped out into the open at 200 yards.

Nailed three with the 6.5 Grendel last night and recovered two, they were really moving before this cold front settles in. Went out on the golf course and shot five more.

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

Originally Posted By: SkyPupGot a new set of HogBalls to accentuate the feeders.

HogBalls.JPG

Holy HogBalls, BatMan!
thumbup.gif

Where can I buy these hogballs?

Back