First hog with thermal optic

lightsout

I haven't been around here in a while... make that several years. Recently was given rights to hunt 20,000 + acres of row crop land in Eastern OK. The landowner wants the hogs gone so bad he gave a buddy and I long term loan of 2 ATN THor thermal optics. After an evening of hunting 1 property, I thought I would try another property where I heard hogs splashing in a slough on the other side of some head high johnson grass last week. I walked in about 200 yards down a road with soybeans on both sides of the road. The moon was bright enough it was casting my shadow on the dirt road. I scanned one side with the thermal optic, then the other. I would do this about every 20 yards or so as I went down the road. Just before I was about ready to call it a night, I scanned to my right. A glowing white target showed against the black background of soybeans. I closed 10 more yards or so and checked again. The hog had closed at least another 10 yards or so. I put the red dot on the glowing white head and pulled the trigger on the Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 AR and the white target dropped behind the soybeans. He never squealed. He never flopped. He dropped silently with a Hornady 123 grain SST planted just above his left eye. Lights Out!
url]

What part of eastern oklahoma, i have a couple buddies that hunt eastern oklahoma up by I-40. They are always looking for another gunner to go along. The hogs are thick up there.

Last edited:
i hunt with ar 10,electric golf cart,thermal viewer,thermal scope my best nite was 7 killed out of 9 shoots in one group of hogs. golf cart is the ticket!

Back