6x45 SBR barrel questions

I'm putting together a short barreled 6x45 that will wear a F1 suppressor full time. Looking at 11.5-12" barrel. Just had a couple of questions. I'm going to try X Caliber barrel for a change of pace and see how they work out.

1st: What twist should I go with? I'll mainly be shooting the lighter stuff (70-80 grainers) but I'd like to load some heavier stuff for deer for cull hunts. 1:10 would probably work, but they also have 1:9 and a 3 groove 1:8. Not sure if the 1:8 3 groove would help with velocity or not versus the standard 6 groove. Just thinking along the lines of a BHW and the increased velocity because of rifling design.

2nd: Gas length? My gut tells me to with carbine length, but just wondered about the mid-length also.

Heres my 2 cents. I would go 1:9, as far as gas tube u know carbine length would work, mid length is going to be very iffy and once that gas port hole is drilled....its drilled, no changing it after that.

All my 6x45s are 1/9" twist.
Mid & rifle length gas tubes on the ARs, but they are all 20" bbls.
On a shorty as your Id run carbine length GT.

With an SBR I'd go 1/10 as the cartridge doesn't work real great with real heavy bullets. I'm using 1-13.5 twist for 65 grain bullets and lighter. I can't see it necessary to go any heavier than 75grn bullets and even a 1-12 twist can handle that easily.

I've considered the 1:10, but what's the heaviest it will stabilize? I'd like to play around with a small stock of 80 & 88gr Bergers just for fun.

For a tube I would go with a 9. More spin per distance at XX velocity and it will help as it will be decreased greatly with the tube length. A 10 would do it for your weight bullets normally but a bit extra insurance. The rule of thumb is that if you are concerned always go one twist faster.

I would go carbine. The 3 polygonal 8 twist vs a 9 in velocity will be undetectable for you. The six groove will cause more pressure as it is a standard Enfield type and the poly will always decrease engraving pressures and give you a bit of velocity. Same same loads and barrel length in the polygonal barrel have never failed to exceed the standard style.

Call Ritch and he can work with you on what you are after.

Greg

With a suppressor you will want to go with the fast twist. You do not want to have a unstable bullet take out your can. I recommend the 8 twist. Faster the better in the shorty with a can.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERWith a suppressor you will want to go with the fast twist. You do not want to have a unstable bullet take out your can. I recommend the 8 twist. Faster the better in the shorty with a can.
That's a very good point

I know a 12.5" 6.8SPC by ARP has a mid-length gas system. IF you go shorter than 12.5" id suggest going to carbine and like mentioned above, when in doubt always go one twist faster.
I even put a adjustable gas block and a H2 buffer in mine to fine tune it. It works great.

I too run my 6x45's w/ 1:9" twist and 20" barrels. Little heavy in the field but they shoot like laser beams and hit like Thor's hammer.

Back