They can't figure out where you are

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I have been running my YHM QD 30 cal stainless suppressor on my .308 AR for several months now. It has been a VERY productive pair. While I have gotten some doubles this morning I got to really see the suppressor benefit.

No sooner than I started the call a triple comes bombing into the stand. The first coyote was about 100 yards ahead of the other two. I howl, it stops, SHWAAAAACCCKKK! Coyote down. Coyote #2 turns and runs as does #3. But #3 holds up when I play pup distress. SHWAAAAAACCCKKK!

While they will run from a suppressed shot they don't seem to be able to figure out the direction that the rounds are coming from thus giving you follow up shots.

For anyone thinking of getting a suppressor this is a good reason to.

IMG_2869 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I have also used the suppressor to purposely shoot over their head if they hang up way out there. 9 times out of 10 they will run straight to u. I know its hard to believe and beyond normal logic, but that suppressor just throws off their sense of direction for the bullet.

I have shot them in competitions before, and while I was impressed, I just couldn't justify it. Now that I hunt with one, yeah, I am not going back...

I shot 3 coyotes all within about 800 yards. Call one in, drop it. Drag him to the road, call another one in and dropped him too. Went to pick him up and saw number 3, a few calls on the hand calls and here she came....she was more hesitant but when she saw my dog she couldn't resist....

We got a lot of doubles this year. First coyote would show up pretty quick and we would drop them. Then shut the call down and waited. Got a lot of "trailers" showing up after 10 minutes or so apparently looking for the first coyote. Pretty confident they wouldn't have come in if the first kills were unsupressed.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaI shot 3 coyotes all within about 800 yards. Call one in, drop it. Drag him to the road, call another one in and dropped him too. Went to pick him up and saw number 3, a few calls on the hand calls and here she came....she was more hesitant but when she saw my dog she couldn't resist....

I've had some of my best luck hunting coyotes with my two little Chihuahua's with me. They start jumping around when I start calling and I've had coyotes zero in on them when they get in close and seem to lose all sense of caution. Love my little rat dogs!!

Sometimes a can may help, others may not depending on the circumstances.

We have killed 4 on a stand so many times, no way to keep count. Killed 7 on a stand many times, also.

All time high is 17 on a stand in Mexico, stand was 1.5 hours long, we quit the stand because we could not remember where they all were.

Population density, competition, weather, barometric pressure all has a play in how coyotes come in.

If you are calling in a very call wise area, then you need to pull out of the tricks out of your bag to get doubles and multiples.

Nothing beats a target rich environment.

I won't bore you with the stories, they are many stands with multiples of all kinds of predators.

Would love to have the opportunity to shoot my .223 AR suppressed just to see what it sounds like. Don't think my pocket book will ever allow the purchase of a commercial suppressor and I so highly resent having the pay the gooberment to allow me to use one that I doubt I'd ever buy the stamp. So guess I'll never have one. But I think it would be a real plus to have one on the rifle.

Haven't been able to hunt yet, but I shoot a lot here at my range at home. I'm worried the noise could be disturbing to my neighbor whose home is 200 yards from my firing line. If for no other reason, I wish I had a suppressor to lower the report from the AR so it wouldn't disturb him.

Originally Posted By: Chris623Would love to have the opportunity to shoot my .223 AR suppressed just to see what it sounds like. Don't think my pocket book will ever allow the purchase of a commercial suppressor and I so highly resent having the pay the gooberment to allow me to use one that I doubt I'd ever buy the stamp. So guess I'll never have one. But I think it would be a real plus to have one on the rifle.

Haven't been able to hunt yet, but I shoot a lot here at my range at home. I'm worried the noise could be disturbing to my neighbor whose home is 200 yards from my firing line. If for no other reason, I wish I had a suppressor to lower the report from the AR so it wouldn't disturb him.

The neighbor thing is also a big plus for me, I did an unscientific test while the wife was shooting a 6.5 creedmoor suppressed and I could barely hear it a half mile away. As for the funding, a good steel can can be had for about $500, mine is a yhm phantom 2 and I love it in the dog town. A bit heavy, but built like a tank. I hate giving the feds any money also, but I don't regret it now that I've done it.

Thanks for the recommendation, 204 AR, but I'm absolutely anchored on my decision to not pay the gooberment for the right to buy something that is none of their danged business. Guess I'm just a stubborn old fool. When they drop the stamp cr@p, I might consider the expense of buying a suppressor.

Originally Posted By: Chris623Thanks for the recommendation, 204 AR, but I'm absolutely anchored on my decision to not pay the gooberment for the right to buy something that is none of their danged business. Guess I'm just a stubborn old fool. When they drop the stamp cr@p, I might consider the expense of buying a suppressor.

I agree with your first sentence, but the ladder I don't think is gonna happen, they generate way too much revenue from the stamps.

You are probably correct. I just think it's egregious to be forced to have to pay for the right to buy something....................it's like having to pay an admission fee to go to a gun show or RV show. Just isn't right in my mind.

Originally Posted By: Chris623You are probably correct. I just think it's egregious to be forced to have to pay for the right to buy something....................it's like having to pay an admission fee to go to a gun show or RV show. Just isn't right in my mind.

I agree, the suppressor shouldn't be an NFA item.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Chris623Thanks for the recommendation, 204 AR, but I'm absolutely anchored on my decision to not pay the gooberment for the right to buy something that is none of their danged business. Guess I'm just a stubborn old fool. When they drop the stamp cr@p, I might consider the expense of buying a suppressor.

I agree with your first sentence, but the ladder I don't think is gonna happen, they generate way too much revenue from the stamps. Not to mention money generated for lawyers!

Thanks to all the mass shootings, it seems the Hearing
Protection Act will NEVER see the light of day.

Originally Posted By: DannoBoone

IMHO, I think the HPA is a large factor in the suppressor industry really slowing down. A lot of fellas thought it had a decent chance, so they held off on purchases or investments in a suppressor, now it's really become stagnant.

Originally Posted By: DannoBoone

I dont think the shootings are really affecting it. It never had a chance right from the beginning. Why would the federal government give up a source of income?

I have some buddies with suppressors. I've used theirs while we were hog huntin and I like them a lot. I'd like to own one someday just for the simple fact it's not as hard on my hearing. I guess if I shoot without one long enough everything will get quieter then I won't have to worry about it. Just turn off my hearing aid after I start the call.

Back