What a great day

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
Spent Saturday in the 100+ degree heat volunteering for Hunters Ed class. Get home looking forward to a cold shower, phone dies. Off to the phone store to spend the remainder of my Saturday getting a new phone.

So I was more than ready to just have a relaxing day calling coyotes with Drew.

Except, someone didn't send the memo to the coyotes. First stand, sun not quite up, I start the call, less than 15 seconds and BAM!!! here come THREE coyotes at mach 10 speed. I barely had time to howl to get the 1st one stopped. SHWAAAACCKKK! 150gr Hornady SP from my suppressed .308 AR and coyote #1 is napping. Coyote #2 and 3 turn around. #2 takes off across a canyon and we have to watch it go. But #3 pulled up when my FoxBang kicked in to Pup Distress. SHWAAAAACCCKKK!!! Second coyote down. Incredible. I have called in triples before but never in under 15 seconds. Drew and I just had to laugh. Talk about getting the juices flowing!

IMG_2869 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

So with two coyotes in the truck, we head off. Stand #2 was a blank and it started getting warm. So we tucked down onto the side of a hill for stand #3. 9 minutes in, on a puppy call here comes this coyote. Beeline towards the call. I whisper to Drew, who gets eyes on it. Then the coyote checks up. Seems that it didn't really like a low flying helicopter. As it stopped I told Drew to take the shot. He sends a 77gr HP from his 22-250 and the coyote collapses.

IMG_2878 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Now being that it was his first coyote we were pretty pumped. Drew wanders over to get it. Then he says "you gotta see this!" He brings the coyote back and I can see that it appears to be missing half of one of it's back legs. Didn't seem to bother it much as it bombed into our stand. But then we get looking closer and see that the coyote was actually born that way. We can see pads growing out of the end of it's club foot. This old coyote had done a pretty fair job for quite a while on 3-1/2 legs, he just couldn't slide past Drew and his rifle. Drew plans on having the old guys skull done up. Congrats Drew.
IMG_2877 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

IMG_2876 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

IMG_2883 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

As if we needed more proof on just how tough these creatures are. Congrats on your first. Looks like a great day indeed.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen. It sure was a good day. So nice to spend it with a friend and help him get his first. Something everyone should experience.

Back