How much of a clearance should have between GB and HG

dan158

I got JB gas block and also the matrix handguard. I can just barely slide a piece of paper between the 2... Is this enough clearance or should I dremel the GB some to have more space for expansion?? Thanks.. Dan

Ideally it would be nice to be able to throw a cat through there but we don't get ideal much, do we?
wink.gif

Greg

I too have the same setup on one of my guns. It's not been an issue after a year or better of shooting. Gun is way sub MOA. I would go ahead and run it without all the grinding first. If you do notice a problem then go for a fix.

I want to eliminate that possible issue from the start before I start to work a load up.. So I will do that now so I don't have to start with the same loads over if I have to grind it later for the clearance.... Dan

I think that's an excellent plan. Take out the potential variable at low cost and minimal time investment. Sometimes looking back and asking yourself what if can be frustrating. The good thing is being proactive won't induce negative results even if it wasn't needed.

Greg

You'll need clearance for small amounts of deflection from having the handguard pushed against a rest, a bipod, etc. It won't need to be much. Unfortuantely the small handguards such as MI, Matrix, etc are all going to have minimal clearance with most low profile gas blocks. Luckily the industry has moved towards much smaller/lighter handguards. Back in 2005 the average handguard and as block probably weighed 30% more than they do now, but the handguards were huge so the need for a micro gas block wasn't a big deal.

Back