Thermal optics and usable distance

fxred

I see all these videos but it's so hard to telll what you are actually seeing. What are the true usable distances for the units below $3000? How do they all rate scopes and monoculars? I want to get in the game but need to keep a scanner and scope close to $4000. The way prices have been dropping has kept me holding off.

You may need to be more clear on what you mean by "usable distance". I don't use a thermal scope but I have a pulsar hd19a scanner and a pulsar xp28 helion scanner. On bare fields that we hunt in Illinois I can pick out a heat signature from a coyote around 450 -500 yds if he broadside with the 19a and 900+ yds with the xp28. Probly over 1000 but got tired of walking with my coyote sized dog and figured that was far enough for a test. Keep in mind I'm talking of heat signatures which are white spots as at those distances I don't know that it is a coyote but when using a scanner I'm much more concerned with knowing something is there than I am with what it is for sure. keep in mind don't expect thermal to see thru something such as vegetation. You need line of sight for it to be picked up and the more fur showing the farther you can see it so you'll pick up something broadside much farther than if it is facing you head on.

Depends on a number of factors including but not limited to microbolometer pixel size, lens size, magnification, etc. etc etc.

Ok that makes sense and I do need to be clearer where we hunt if you can see 500 yds it's a stretch in 90% of situations. Most sets have a max range of 300 yds visibility. Shot opportunities will be 250 and less.

Also depends on water vapor content of atmosphere, humidity, temperatures, etc since water molecules absorb in 7-15 micron Mid-IR wavelengths. Also diurnal variation as emissivity changes throughout the day and night.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAlso depends on water vapor content of atmosphere, humidity, temperatures, etc since water molecules absorb in 7-15 micron Mid-IR wavelengths. Also diurnal variation as emissivity changes throughout the day and night.

NERD!
tt2.gif
LOL!

He's right though. Lots of factors. Any 640 resolution thermal would be more than adequate at the ranges you've mentioned. Some 320 units as well. The new FLIR PTS233 and The PULSAR XQ Series. With your budget, I would look at the Pulsar RXQ30V weapon sight as well. All the aforementioned can be found here.

Night Goggles Inc. Thermal

Avoid ATN.

What would you say is a usable distance on the XP50 for yotes? In average atmospheric conditions, i.e. not too humid, cool night... and outside of thermal crossover (not that that matters as much on a hot target)

Last edited:
How far do you feel comfortable shooting in the daylight?

It is also very hard to judge distance at night. So I think usable distance is wide open.

Emssivity. Had to look that one up. I don't know how accurate they are but a lot of manufacturers give a human detection range. I wish it was easier for prospective buyers to demo units.

Last edited:
I think it is ultimate night vision out of Dallas that has a reasonable rental program. For a recent tournament here the winner rented and won.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMOriginally Posted By: SkyPupAlso depends on water vapor content of atmosphere, humidity, temperatures, etc since water molecules absorb in 7-15 micron Mid-IR wavelengths. Also diurnal variation as emissivity changes throughout the day and night.

NERD!
tt2.gif
LOL!

He's right though. Lots of factors. Any 640 resolution thermal would be more than adequate at the ranges you've mentioned. Some 320 units as well. The new FLIR PTS233 and The PULSAR XQ Series. With your budget, I would look at the Pulsar RXQ30V weapon sight as well. All the aforementioned can be found here.

Night Goggles Inc. Thermal

Avoid ATN.

Lol

I feel good out to 250 depending on the quality of rest and with the right zero that's the max range for no holdover. That is why I used the 250 yd #. My use is only for coyotes so the plans are for a monocular and scope Sunday.

Back