Time for a new scope

Rambo

I am going to put my redfield scope on my wife's rifle and buy me a new one. I'm thinking along the lines of a Prostaff or maybe a Burris Fullfield II. I want to keep the price reasonable. Is there anything new on the market that is a good performer st a good price?

It's a Tikka .243 that I use for enything from Coyote hunting to deer. I would like to have a 4x12 and stay under 300 bucks or so.

I've been pretty impressed with the one that's on it. If it was a 4x12 it would be perfect. My wife's gun has one of those cheap package scopes on it that came with it.

Sample list has a Leupold 4-12x40 VX-2 demo right now for under $280... if you watch you can usually find a bargain there...

I have been running Burris fullfield 2 on most of my rifles, I have a 4.5 to 14 on my Tikka 243 and have used it on several coyotes and antelope. I really like the bullet drop compensator. Not to busy and just enough to work. I usually leave it on 6 power and zero at 200. I had it mounted with the Tikka rings for years and decided to put a better ring on it. I went with Warne medium and with the 42mm objective it is real close to the barrel. Even with the stock Tikka rings it is close but it does just clear with the scope all the way forward. Just FYI. I do have the Burris predator quest 4.5 to 14 with the E1 retical on my 22 mag and kinda like it also. Time will tell.
Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
I just got a Cabelas flyer and hey are gonna have the vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 on sale for 149 in a few days. It has the vplex reticle. Is the diamondback line a decent scope? Ive never messed with any of the vortex below the Viper line. I've got a $20 coupon so I can pick one up for $129 bucks.

Originally Posted By: RamboI just got a Cabelas flyer and hey are gonna have the vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 on sale for 149 in a few days. It has the vplex reticle. Is the diamondback line a decent scope? Ive never messed with any of the vortex below the Viper line. I've got a $20 coupon so I can pick one up for $129 bucks.

I have that same scope only with the BDC recticle. It's been perfect for me on every gun I have had it on. It is truly a steal for $129 IMHO. The only possible issue, from my experience, is that on a regular bolt gun the 50mm objective raises the line of sight axis too high for me. On an AR platform no such issue. For the price you have listed I don't think you can top it. Best of luck.
The vortex warranty is arguably one of, if not the best in the business. I had to test it out twice on a crossfire II. No questions asked they took care of the problem and total turnaround was just 4 days on both occasions.

Mort98

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogNatchez has some close outs going on right now. You might check them out.

I'll check Natchez too.

Originally Posted By: Mort98Originally Posted By: RamboI just got a Cabelas flyer and hey are gonna have the vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 on sale for 149 in a few days. It has the vplex reticle. Is the diamondback line a decent scope? Ive never messed with any of the vortex below the Viper line. I've got a $20 coupon so I can pick one up for $129 bucks.

I have that same scope only with the BDC recticle. It's been perfect for me on every gun I have had it on. It is truly a steal for $129 IMHO. The only possible issue, from my experience, is that on a regular bolt gun the 50mm objective raises the line of sight axis too high for me. On an AR platform no such issue. For the price you have listed I don't think you can top it. Best of luck.
The vortex warranty is arguably one of, if not the best in the business. I had to test it out twice on a crossfire II. No questions asked they took care of the problem and total turnaround was just 4 days on both occasions.

Mort98

The 50mm objective lens is the only thing that concerned me because I've always used 40mm. I might have to have new rings.

Originally Posted By: Mort98Originally Posted By: RamboI just got a Cabelas flyer and hey are gonna have the vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 on sale for 149 in a few days. It has the vplex reticle. Is the diamondback line a decent scope? Ive never messed with any of the vortex below the Viper line. I've got a $20 coupon so I can pick one up for $129 bucks.

Mort98

What were the 2 issues on the crossfire II? Hopefully it didn't ruin a hunt for you. A no questions asked warranty is nice, but a failed scope during a special hunt isn't worth the savings to me. A bench scope fine, but a hunt scope no way. Just curious, and not knocking your choices. I have a viper that has held up nicely.

First was an AO issue second was an objective lens issue. I have and still do own several Vortex scopes this was the only one that has ever failed. It was on a bench gun. On an important hunt I would have one or more back-up guns anyway.

consider used scopes. Sightron, bushnell, and leupold have lifetime no receipt needed warranties. I put a used bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 on my tikka .243. Paid 220 for never used in box. Have one on my .223 tikka too, 185 in moderately used condition. Long and heavy, but great glass and very versatile magnification.

Back