P-dogs The Truth about hunting them

Ton of public land out there. If you have the time I would just get a trailer start driving. Narrow down some places through internet searching and go. I am a public land hunter. I would rather kill nothing than pay to hunt.

Also consider ground squirrel hunting. It is similar to hunting PD's and they are all over the west.

Left last Wednesday for a Montana combination fishing and prairie dog trip. Arrived about 2pm, hit the hardware store and the drugstore, yielded one ranch contact. Called and were told come on out and kill some. Got to the ranch about 4:30, the rancher and his wife gave us a old block management map, we followed pasture track a couple miles and had a great 5 person shoot(no suppressor) until dark. Fished Thursday and Friday and made another contact for Saturday, we shot from 9am till 2pm with a very nice local shooter who let us try a couple of his suppressor equipped rifles. Makes a big difference shooting suppressed, the prairie dogs stay out much longer. Went back to the first ranch for another great evening shoot. The other 4 guys had not shot dogs before and all want to go again and are thinking a dedicated/suppressed rifle are needed. Do not hesitate when meeting and talking with local residents to ask about the resources, even a waitress at a cafe could know someone to call.

It is extremely dry in areas of Montana, several wildfires going now. This did cause us some problems getting permission on two ranches and may get worse if fire conditions do not improve.

It doesn't take too much research online to know the general locations you should be able to find dogs; cross-reference with public land maps. Dog towns are visible on Google Earth.

I have never had the need (yet) to access private land to burn the ammo I take. If I did, it doesn't seem too hard for a humble and down to earth person to find some access here and there.

Public land is totally accessible in Wyoming. If you are interested I can help you out. I will guide you and that will be the end of that. You have access to any land I will take you on. However I would require a guide fee. But you are done at that point. If you are interested give me a pm

Back