Barrel question

pyscodog

I'm just curious as to what the best barrel on the market is today. I'm aware of the top name brands and best bang for the buck barrels. But IYO, what is the top of the heap, best of the best barrel today. Not by price,but by quality!!

I think really for the most part they're all pretty decent... That being said I'm a huge Bartlein fan.

I've also ran Kreiger, Rock, Obermeyer, Lilja, Brux, and Shilen and never had problems with any of them...

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMight be a tough question. There are a bunch of good barrels out there these days.

You know it, Bill. And I have not had a bad barrel from any of them.

And just because my gunsmith who built many a benchrest rifle liked Krieger barrels best that's what I'm going to say too.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterYou never met one of my ex's..lol

Greg

Good one!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: GLShooterYou never met one of my ex's..lol

Greg

Good one!
thumbup1.gif

Well, you got me there! I agree, got a few myself.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolDont forget Lilja.....

Just sayin.

Who's she?
wink.gif
Oh, we're back on barrels.
lol.gif

I've had great luck with Chandlin barrels, as well.

Regards,
hm

Ive heard ABC Barrels is making a huge push towards the top. Its still early but the guys shooting them are claming they are out performing the other makers.

Last edited:
I have never had a bad Krieger, one bad shilen and one mediocre criterion. My new Brux is a very good barrel, and the only Bartlein I've had was a dang good one.

I feel like a good smith can work wonders with just about anything of quality, though some may last longer or foul less.

An interesting phenomenon for me has been that I can't buy, build or imagine a more accurate hunting rifle than my factory CZ Varmint 223. It's barrel looks like a wasteland on the inside, it's a pain to clean and remarkably it has shot in the .1s since day one.

Go figure.

I have a buddy that claims the inside of a Savage barrel looks like an old sewer pipe. Amazing that they shoot so good.

My reason for the original question is "Someday", for my last hurrah,I'd like to build/have built, a really nice hunting rifle. Its all just a pipe dream now but someday!! I would really like to get a "great" barrel for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a buddy that claims the inside of a Savage barrel looks like an old sewer pipe. Amazing that they shoot so good.

My reason for the original question is "Someday", for my last hurrah,I'd like to build/have built, a really nice hunting rifle. Its all just a pipe dream now but someday!! I would really like to get a "great" barrel for it.
A friend of mine and writer for PS Mag, the late Bob Jourdan, had a Savage Low Profile Varmint in 204 Ruger. He showed me some groups, appox 30 different loads, averaged around .570" for 5 shots. He told me that was very impressive for a factory rifle, but knew he could milk more out of the cartridge with a Hart Barrel. About a year later i stopped by to see him and had remembered to ask him about that project. He pulled out about 40 groups from the 204 Hart barrel. They averaged .490".... Sometimes better is just a few hundred dollars away.

Ive seen buddys spend thousands of dollars just to gain 10hp on a hotrod.

Though Bob did achive better I dont know if it was worth it. IMO, I dont worry about switching a barrel until its accuracy falls beyond my expectations. And like you, I also dream of a day when I finally have enough reason to get myself a "Custom Barrel". The need has just not risen enough to justify the expense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Ive heard ABC Barrels is making a huge push towards the top. Its still early but the guys shooting them are claming they are out performing the other makers.

Is that the right name of the outfit? I did a Google search and did not come up with anything.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Ive heard ABC Barrels is making a huge push towards the top. Its still early but the guys shooting them are claming they are out performing the other makers.

Is that the right name of the outfit? I did a Google search and did come up with anything. Yes, for some reason they are not advertising, or have a web page, I can get you a contact number from the accuracte shooter site if your interested. ABC stands for American Barrel Company. Like you evertime i have ever tried to google them all that comes up is barrels for agin wine and liquor...lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a buddy that claims the inside of a Savage barrel looks like an old sewer pipe. Amazing that they shoot so good.

A friend of mine and writer for PS Mag, the late Bob Jourdan, had a Savage Low Profile Varmint in 204 Ruger. He showed me some groups, appox 30 different loads, averaged around .570" for 5 shots. He told me that was very impressive for a factory rifle, but knew he could milk more out of the cartridge with a Hart Barrel. About a year later i stopped by to see him and had remembered to ask him about that project. He pulled out about 40 groups from the 204 Hart barrel. They averaged .490".... Sometimes better is just a few hundred dollars away.

Ive seen buddys spend thousands of dollars just to gain 10hp on a hotrod.

Though Bob did achive better I dont know if it was worth it. IMO, I dont worry about switching a barrel until its accuracy falls beyond my expectations. And like you, I also dream of a day when I finally have enough reason to get myself a "Custom Barrel". The need has just not risen enough to justify the expense.

I knew Bob. He built me a 243AI with a Hart barrel. Built several rifles for friends also.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1 Yes, for some reason they are not advertising, or have a web page, I can get you a contact number from the accuracte shooter site if your interested. ABC stands for American Barrel Company. Like you evertime i have ever tried to google them all that comes up is barrels for agin wine and liquor...lol

Ah! OK then. And I dont need nothing for help age wine and liquor. I need something to keep ME from ageing so fast!

Back