Help in getting the most moa out of my setup

Jim Byers

I need someone to double check my math.. I have a vortex viper 6x24x50 mounted on talley one piece rings sitting atop my Kimber Adirondack.

When zeroed at 200 I was only left with 10 moa of vertical adjustment left..

I tried but failed to find anyone with an off the shelf one piece system for this rifle so I've found a machinist who can mill my rings.. So I'm doing the red neck method to figure out how much he can remove so I can still zero the gun... I've placed 5 layers of beer can shins under the rear ring.. And snugged them down gently.. The total shim thickness calipers at .04...

I found an old thread on here that gave me this formula.

Shim thickness= distance between the rings x moa u want to move at 100 yards ÷ 3600...

Now it's been a long long time since high school.. So my algebra is a bit rusty.. Lol.

With my shim thickness a known value of .04 I ended up coming up with 34.4 moa change at 100..

Which would nearly perfectly bottom out my current and give me maximum up elevation adjustment....

Am I correct? Headed to the range tomorrow to test but if I'm off be nice to just change it before I get there..

I know...I'm silly sometimes.. I just like the clean look of the Talleys one piece... but my math was correct.. I have 42 moa of adjustment.... a little machine work and I'm ready to roll.. Will get me to 1300 with my one load poa... that's far enough for now..

I've applied that formula many times (in fact just 2 days ago) to shim Burris Pos Align inserts when +/- 20's weren't enough on 22 rimfires. I use plastic credit card-like shim between the inserts and scope tube, and have used so much before that the ring screws almost wouldn't reach the holes. It's amazing how well that calculation works.

Back