What are your "old faithful" hand calls that you carry?

I also carry a 25 year old Critr Call, and an AZ Predator Calls birch enclosed reed..sort of a centimental call for me.
Mark

Mine changes often.
smile.gif

Recently it was one of Rudy's little Coco units. Right now it's a Lights Out call custom made from the horn of an oryx I killed.

I have an old springbok horn call made by a former PM member 15 years or so ago that I keep in the truck and use a couple times a year.

For commercial calls I have one of Rick's production calls and an old Tally Ho that still get some use.

Last edited:
Pretty much all Carver calls. Strictly business set and a few customs. Also a rhino calls/APC poker chip call. My old favorites that I don't have anymore are the old style Quakerboy super screamer bite call and a Burnham bros. Mini blaster.

Although it's been a while since I actually got to go hunting, I still keep a few calls on a 6-drop lanyard, and not on a shelf.

The go to calls on that lanyard, since the last time I used it are:

...A little cow horn tip open reed, (based off of Tony Tebbe's old "Feline Frenzy" call, uses same 'board & reed design...with TT's blessing), that was one of the first calls I made myself back in May 2007. Between '07-'10, that little call brought in probably 50%-60% of the coyotes I called.

...The prototype for my "Frenzy Pup" pup howler.

...A Carver Swift call.

...A little thin Osage cottontail-voiced badtothebone call.

...A Verminator "Twisted Syco" call.

...An ArkyYoter coaxer call. It is a little "swirl yellow" colored, molded polymer call, that Arky only made in 2006-2007. I can't recall the name of it.

I usually have a Carver, RR Calls, one of Rudy's and a Tweety with me at all times. Have lots of calls but most sit in the collection.

My lanyards locked down calls are one of my little old Dirts Custom springbok closed reeds, a small Dirts custom one piece cow horn open reed, another one of my little open reeds and a little pink sparkly coaxer from Tony Jones. It's got some centimental value that he would know about. And a antler one piece open reed made by our late brother Thomas "Trashcan" Hayes. That one means a bunch to me. Plus it is one mean little call. Then the rest of the loops are always filled with various calls from Rudy, Carver, Tony Jones, Catwhacker and a couple others. I've got plenty to fill it up.

I have a Hawaiian Koa call made by Tony Jones, using a Kerry Carver Rabid Rabbit Extreme board; that I wouldn't sell for anything. Call is MONEY! Next would be my Tony Tebbe Extreme call. Those are by far, my two favorite calls. Never leave the lanyard. I also have a DRT antler call by Chaz Black that I really like. All three of those calls are very versatile, which I like in a call. It's nice to have a call that can do good rabbit distress, pup distress (my favorite); and coyote vocals.

Ironically it's a howler and jackrabbit call from Lonehowl here on this site.

His calls work, flat out.. They are comfortable and for what ever reason take little effort to use and the sounds really carry out there.

I can go for a straight 30 seconds of letting the rabbit die the most horrible death, and not be huffing and puffing at the end.

Not the case with other calls i used in the past.

Here a few of my favorites for the field.These are the calls I carry all the time each one has a different hardness and will produce a different sound, most are Magnums along with a HSB and the deadly RED-F (bird) If I had to choose 2 I think it would be the KHAMPHI Mag and the Howler and change up often, I will use all these calls in a days hunt

DSCN5320 by Bob Patrick, on Flickr

DSCN5321 by Bob Patrick, on Flickr

DSCN5322 by Bob Patrick, on Flickr

DSCN4994 by Bob Patrick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your killing me with the above photos Bob. Any of Bob's calls are my go to calls. Their tuned perfectly, they fit the hand well, the CA finish is not overly applied. I really like the shape. Keep up the good work. Grizz

My picture quality is terrible, but here's my "go-to" lanyard which is always in my truck for the last several years:

[*]Jered Brisby Buffalo Horn Coaxer[*]Brad Gainey Yote Hunter Buffalo Horn & Box Elder Cottontail Distress[*]Doug McCarty Ironstone Blue Acrylic open reed Distress[*]Will Horting NCK Pronghorn Double Reed distress[*]John Ryan Lights Out Buffalo Horn Howler (stuck my Cronk Buff Horns on the shelf after Rich passed)[/list]

If I can't get it called with this set of calls, it's usually just as productive to go home and play hot wheels with my son.

35961531210_e3aba7673a_b.jpg

ETA: Can you tell I like shrill sounds produced by hard materials? Lots of buffalo in my life!

Last edited:
Right now on my lanyard there is an old 1960 model Weems wild call that belonged to my great Uncle, a ED Sceery walnut AP1 long range call that I bought in the early 80s, a Rare Earth blood wood HSB that's mid to late 90s vintage, an 01 Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler that is hand signed, one of Cronks old Arizona predator calls that I modified to an open reed, a Red River mesquite open reed that's 8 or 10 years old, one of Rudys coco bolo bunny bombs that I got last year and last is a brand new stabilized Big Leaf Maple Burl Open reed from Rick at R&R

Last edited:
Back