How old is my Remington?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI don't do pictures but have pretty much described everything on both sides of the barrel and the action too.

Did you see my revisions to my post?

What is stamped on the Action? Does it read Model 700?

My bad, it is stamped REP with the oval around it and it is a Model 700 action. There is also a couple of symbols with the REP but even with a glass the are hard to make out.
The right side of the barrel looks like EA58. The E&A are like the stamp didn't set flat on the barrel and its only the lower half of the letters. The 58 is pretty clear. The right side has a > enclosed with an outline the same shape, then REP the another symbol almost like an X but the top of the x is rounded. Model 700 on the action and all the Remington stuff on the barrel from the factory, Remington Arms Ilion N.Y. Made in USA yada yada. Pretty sure its all factory Remington.

All that determined, with the B prefix in the actual weapon serial number, it looks like the early 1980's is still the most likely guess without the barrel code.

No problem. I'm glad that both of us are maybe no longer confused.
smile.gif

I have no idea what might have happened to the barrel code as its usually very easy to see just in front of the receiver on the left side of the barrel.

Edit.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy bad, it is stamped REP with the oval around it and it is a Model 700 action. There is also a couple of symbols with the REP but even with a glass the are hard to make out.
The right side of the barrel looks like EA58. The E&A are like the stamp didn't set flat on the barrel and its only the lower half of the letters. The 58 is pretty clear. The right side has a > enclosed with an outline the same shape, then REP the another symbol almost like an X but the top of the x is rounded. Model 700 on the action and all the Remington stuff on the barrel from the factory, Remington Arms Ilion N.Y. Made in USA yada yada. Pretty sure its all factory Remington.

In your above post, you mentioned the EA58 on the right side of the barrel. Are those on the same side of the barrel as the REP or on the other side of the barrel where Model 700 is rolled on the action?.

If they are on the same side as the Model 700 lettering on the action (left side), the EA is the barrel date code and it would translate as follows (since you're saying its an older rifle with a B prefix serial number):

E = Month Code = October
A = Year Code = 1980

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/remington-barrel-date-codes-date-of-manufacture-2164.html

"A" rolled around again in 2006, but your rifle definitely appears to be an older rifle as you have stated from your personal ownership knowledge and from the B prefix serial number .

Just curious. And probably not the answer.

Winny- yes the EA is on the same side as Remington 700 on the action, (left). I think you got it!!
October,1980. Close enough! Thank You!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWinny- yes the EA is on the same side as Remington 700 on the action, (left). I think you got it!!
October,1980. Close enough! Thank You!!

From the information you provided, that's about as close as one can get.

1. Contact Remington and provide them with the serial number. They will research and get back to with the information.
2. I have Remington rifles with Serial numbers with "A" all the way thru current production except the "RR" serial numbers.

I suspect your rifle was build in the 1960 ERA.

Originally Posted By: Viper61. Contact Remington and provide them with the serial number. They will research and get back to with the information.
2. I have Remington rifles with Serial numbers with "A" all the way thru current production except the "RR" serial numbers.

I suspect your rifle was build in the 1960 ERA.

The "A" in the barrel code designates either 1954 or 1980 as year of manufacture. The Model 700 did not appear until 1962, so that rules out the 1954 date.

In addition, the "B" prefix to the actual weapon serial number was used in the early 1980's.

I'm interested in why you think its a 1960's vintage rifle?

In addition to the fact that the barrel code of EA and the "B" prefix in the weapon serial number all indicate a 1980/early 1980's year of manufacture for psycho's rifle, some elements of 1960 rifles were unique to that decade as well:

• A magazine charging notch in the front of the Model 721 receiver bridge was carried over to the design of the Model 700 receiver, but it was eliminated in 1966.

• During acceptance testing of imported Model 700 rifles by the Australian government, the firing pin was eased down on a round in the chamber and the end of the bolt shroud then struck with a hammer. Since the end of its cocking piece protruded from the short bolt shroud when the firing pin was in its forward position, the Model 700 failed that test. Remington took care of that detail in 1968 by increasing the shroud length by about 0.265 inches which leaves the cocking piece well inside of the rear of the bolt shroud in the fired position.

• The thumb tab of the original safety lever was square in shape but changed to a more rounded shape in 1969. During that same year the bolt handle was swept a bit further back but as hunters began to complain about getting their trigger fingers rapped when shooting a rifle chambered for one of the magnum cartridges, it was changed back close to the original angle in 1974.

Here is a picture of an early Model 700 that I own with a 5 digit serial number. Notice the short bolt shroud and the cocking piece protruding from the rear of the shroud even though the firing pin is in its forward fired position. Also notice the flat tab safety lever which is different from the current round tab safety lever.

nRMMB4c.jpg

The stripper slot/charging notch is under the scope base so its not easy to see but this rifle has the stripper slot in the rear bridge carried over from the earlier Model 721 rifles.

psycho: Does you rifle have any of these characteristics of 1960's vintage Model 700 rifles?

PS - Please disregard the fuzz on the rifle. I took it out of a leather and sheepskin case and didn't wipe it off prior to taking the photo. The lint shows up really well in the photo.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogBoth my Remington Varmints have a round safety.

Does that include the rifle we've been discussing as to when it was "born"?

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogBoth my Remington Varmints have a round safety.

Does that include the rifle we've been discussing as to when it was "born"?

Yes

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43One other feature of the early 700s was the stainless steel barrel on the magnum calibers,retained until around 1972.

Remington did indeed put stainless black copper coated barrels on early BDL rifles in 7MM Mag , and it spread for awhile to other calibers. For a time, 17 Remington BDL rifles also had black copper coated stainless barrels, and that trend continued well into the early 1990's.

The reason that Remington used the stainless barrels on the 7MM Mag which was introduced in 1962 when the Model 700 was born was that an early criticism of the 264 Win Mag was early barrel throat erosion. The brain trust at Remington though stainless might be less erosive with their new 7MM Magnum cartridge. The same thing was done with the 17 Rem for the same reason - to minimize throat erosion.

Most people who own/owned one of these rifles with a stainless barrel have/had no clue because the blackened finish was very well done and it was very durable.

Back