Alternative caliber to 300AAC for coyotes? (Supersonics)

johncraddock445

I picked up a 300AAC bolt gun for night hunting (dedicated night vision scope mounted)knowing I was only going to be shooting supers through it. I chose this caliber because in my thinking, when comparing supers vs supers of another caliber... 300ACC would be quieter. Sure enough, compared to my .308 bolt gun it is certainly less loud. I have killed 13 coyotes with 300AAC in over the last 2 months (majority in the last 2 weeks) Of the 13 killed I have had 3 need another shot, 1 was poor shot placement and 2 of them I was not able to recover. These numbers really don't sound all that horrible but having to track a coyote in the dark due to the possibility of not being able to get off that 2nd shot is not ideal...
So my question is... what other calibers are out there that would be on the lower end of the DB scale? I thinking i'm probably wanting my cake and eating it to as I understand the FPS is what creates noise and FPS is what i'm needing for more explosive kills
P.S im not interested in saving pelts... only looking for a devastating round... Just a quite one

You might try using the .308 Hornady Short Jacket Bullet. I have been having great sucess with it on hogs and coyotes in the 300BO. The huge exposed lead tip is really mushrooming good and creating a good wound channel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101059...oint-box-of-100 I use this thru a suppressor. Good thing is, no lead touches rifiling, only the copper jacket comes in contact with the rifiling. I originally stumbled on this bullet when i was researching using cast lead bullets in my 300BO. No biggie, but Silencerco did not recommend using a lead cast in their omega suppressor. So i chose this as an alternative. So far its working great.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to go with a 6.5 Grendel. 2550 FPS Compared to 2750 fps from a .308 seems to be slightly quieter and I have seen very few coyotes require follow up shots with a Grendel. Most guys prefer to still have some eye shine after the kill for easier night time recovery....a 123 gr SST does the trick.

I'm happy with my 6.8 suppressed, loud pop and usual action noise and works well enough to confuse and not spook deer badly.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI'm happy with my 6.8 suppressed, loud pop and usual action noise and works well enough to confuse and not spook deer badly.

I agree. I love my 12.5" 6.8.
H2 buffer and an adjustable gas block cut down on a good bit of action noise and felt recoil.
It seems quieter than my 16" 223s.

+1 on the Grendel, most accurate lightweight long range quiet bangstick I've got in a long time. Like mine so much I got a second one, kinda like a mini-.308 with the 123 Hornady SST handloads.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: 1badsheeI'm happy with my 6.8 suppressed, loud pop and usual action noise and works well enough to confuse and not spook deer badly.

H2 buffer and an adjustable gas block cut down on a good bit of action noise and felt recoil.

Ordered my 12.5 barrel a couple days ago.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeOriginally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: 1badsheeI'm happy with my 6.8 suppressed, loud pop and usual action noise and works well enough to confuse and not spook deer badly.

Ordered my 12.5 barrel a couple days ago.

You wont be disappointed. Ive got 2 and love them.
Planning on ordering a 12.5 223 barrel from him soon.

I use, 6x6.8, 6.8 spc, 6x45, 300 blk, and a .221 fireball. mostly use my recce 7 but shoot the 300 blk through omega 9k. The fireball is a CZ 527 cut down to 20 inches and it is pretty easy on the ears.

Back