Firsts on the 1st

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
August 1 saw the start of the fox/bobcat season in Az. I don't normally go out on opening days but my buddy Joe had asked about taking his boys out for the opening day.

You might remember that I got to take out Joe's son Aiden for his 14th birthday back in November and that he was able to get his first fox. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3008209

This time we were taking out both boys. Joe's son Noah, had yet to take a predator so we were eager to try and get some fur in front of him.

On our way in we had noticed a lot of coyote sign. We decided to drop into a small canyon that had a stream running through it and call the rocky hillside. About 8 minutes in I see a flash and whisper to Noah to let him know that a coyote was inbound. That coyote runs out and stops on a rock above the caller. This put the coyote dead in front of Aiden. I tell Noah to take the shot. BOOM!!!! BOTH boys let rip at about the same time. The coyote takes a hit and turns to run and the fun really started. All 4 of us open up. The coyote starts to run and is coming parallel to Noah and I. That little guy was so calm and smooth and he got the lead and dropped the coyote in a flash of exploding grass and a geyser of water as the dead coyote plowed into the creek. Just look at the smiles on the boys faces. We call that good teamwork as they both helped to put down their first coyote.

image3 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

We rolled up the mountain and got into some more foxy areas. On stand #3 I see this fox running in from my right. Noah is on my left. Without any hesitation Noah draws up his gun and when the fox paused to take a look at the call, BOOM! The fox goes down with a clean head shot.

image5 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Noah handled himself like a season pro. We wrapped up the day when the weather turned. We called 4 stands and saw 2 coyotes and 2 foxes with Noah getting his first fox and the boys putting down the coyote.

The smiles from these two boys is priceless. If you ever get the chance to take out kids to teach them to hunt, take the opportunity. It is amazing.

1689.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterThat's awesome. I take my son and daughter out with me a few times a year. Can't wait until they are able to pull the trigger!!

It is so rewarding to be able to pass along these skills to further our sport.

Solid work. My son is 9 and has been hunting with me from the age of 5. Next spring he will be able to hunt big game here in Montana.. Not sure who is more excited.. me or him..
In a couple weeks I'll take him on his first coyote hunt. Should be interesting.

Congratulations to the young hunters!

Back