Needing advice for a highrack

Jdhenry

Need some advice from the guys on here that night hunt with a highrack . I'm going to build a new rack two maybe three chairs. It's will be a flat top style with no rail because all my chairs already have gunrest built onto them . My question is to have them setup side by side or inline? Let me know your setup up and the benefits or drawbacks. Thanks in advance.

Nice setup . I'm thinking about setting mine up with three inline seats with the middle seat set above the other two for a light man . I've never hunted out of one with the seats side by side behind the cab . Was not sure if there were any advantages with that kind of setup.

The biggest thing is the height for the light man to be able to scan without obstruction.

The rotating seats with rest is really going to make a big difference.. I used plywood on a lazy suzan. The seat i use all day locks in, and there are supports with cups for the shooting sticks to rest in that are out by my knee's. Being steady for shooting helps, and being able to rotate at night without making noise moving shooting sticks is also been really helpful.

The other thing that my buddies and i found on the open grass is that thermal can be hard if you don't know the range to target. A fox can look like a coyote at 200 instead of 60. We like NVGs personally, and use IR laser with it. The coyotes haven't reacted to it yet.

The other thing that we found nice was to have a normal laser on you and the shooter stays and stares at where it dropped and then the other person walks out and follows that laser to the coyote. It's a lot faster recovery, which can eat a lot of time depending on the terrain.

We put our side by side but if we had it to do over again we'd offset them so we wouldn't have to park at an angle so both of us can scan better

Inline, no need for a light man this day in age. I am also converting to reaper grips instead of simple shooting rests, just so I can keep my hands in my pockets when it's cold

If a person is using night vision can I drive up in a ranger, sit in the back, turn the call on and shoot coyotes. How different is it from day calling, will they see the ranger if they are 200 yards out or further.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterIf a person is using night vision can I drive up in a ranger, sit in the back, turn the call on and shoot coyotes. How different is it from day calling, will they see the ranger if they are 200 yards out or further.

Yea they can see it, but the better you hide it the better off you are.

I prefer a light to NV/thermal just for that reason, but we have plenty of uneducated coyotes to hunt, so they aren't light shy.

The thermals are handy for identification and worth their weight in gold when it's foggy, which is about what my partner paid for them anyway.

Back