How old is my Remington?

pyscodog

I been looking on line but not having a lot of luck trying to figure out the year my Remington 700 was made. Most places want a letter code off the barrel. Mine doesn't seem to have a letter code. The serial number is numbers only, no letters. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Its the first letter in the serial number that tells you the year. I have Remington's from 1911 to present and had several 700s over the years. Used the guns serial number to look up year it was made.

What my blind azz thought was an 8 turned out to be a "B", best I can tell it was made in 1981. The letter be was also use in 1931 but I doubt it was made then. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhat my blind azz thought was an 8 turned out to be a "B", best I can tell it was made in 1981. The letter be was also use in 1931 but I doubt it was made then. Thanks for the help!

Probably not, since 1962 was the first year of Model 700 production.

Its a little confusing as they say they repeated using the letter code. Mine is B62XXXX. Like I said it kinda confused me a little and mine has the two screw hole in the rear of the receiver like a lot of the older 700's, so I just kinda guessed it being an 81 model. I may send Remington an email and ask them to verify.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts a little confusing as they say they repeated using the letter code. Mine is B62XXXX. Like I said it kinda confused me a little and mine has the two screw hole in the rear of the receiver like a lot of the older 700's, so I just kinda guessed it being an 81 model. I may send Remington an email and ask them to verify.

The B in the Serial Number on the receiver generally indicates that your rifle was made in the first half of the 1980s......

The date codes on the left side of the barrel (two letters) will tell you more precisely which month and year it was made.

Follow one of the links provided and the two letters on the barrel should nail it for you as to year and month of manufacture.

Since I mentioned the receiver serial number prefix, for example, in the late 1970s it was an "A" prefix, in the early 1980s it was a "B" prefix, and in the late 1980s it was a "C" prefix. They seemed to change/increment letter prefixes on the serial numbers about ever five years but it's no exact science nor is it near as reliable as the two letter barrel code.

You do seem confused, so maybe a 48 cent stamp to Remington will help put facts in front of your face on paper so that you can debate them with yourself.

There are NO letters on the left side of the barrel. There are a couple of symbols and the Numbers 58 that are stamped on it though.

Originally Posted By: hunter243sgkThe symbols are proof marks. What is on the other side? Did you goggle Rem date codes?

Just a couple more symbols and the typical Rem stamped on the right side. I did a little Google searching, not a lot. I know its an older rifle, just doing it out of curiosity.

You do seem confused, so maybe a 48 cent stamp to Remington will help put facts in front of your face on paper so that you can debate them with yourself.

[/quote]

Winny, while I do appreciate your information and help trying to head me in the right direction finding the date my rifle was built, I don't understand why you have to throw this in there. Why can't it just be a post helping someone and other people interested in date codes with out some type of sarcasm thrown in? No, I'm not thin skinned and No, I'm not butt hurt either. Just getting dam tired of your f-in sarcastic remarks.

Winny, while I do appreciate your information and help trying to head me in the right direction finding the date my rifle was built, I don't understand why you have to throw this in there. Why can't it just be a post helping someone and other people interested in date codes with out some type of sarcasm thrown in? No, I'm not thin skinned and No, I'm not butt hurt either. Just getting dam tired of your f-in sarcastic remarks.

thumbup1.gif

Oh my goodness.
rolleyes.gif
You were the one who said you were confused.

Can you post some pictures of what you're seeing? From the descriptions you're giving, I'm confused too.

Have you looked at any of the links? Once again, are you sure its a factory barrel?

When you refer to "the typical Rem stamped on the right side" are you referring to the three letters in the oval just in front of the action? If so, those three letters are REP.

In front of the rear sight or near the rear sight on the left side, is the barrel stamped with Remington's usual roll marks including the caliber of the barrel? If not, its not an original Remington barrel.

Back