Just dumped my photo bucket. What are you using for pictures?

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pmackI saw earlier post where guys were dumping PB and removing all there pics, couldn't understand why??? Everything except sharing on forums was still free. By the comments I've seen in this post, most here on PM use PB to share on forums.

These photo hosting sites were created to make $$. They offered free safe storage with the hopes you'd use their services for prints and novelties, it's my opinion very few take advantage of this. If your pics were on PB and no where else and you downloaded them back to your PC and deleted PB and your PC crashes you'd be left with nothing.

IMO it's only a matter of time till more of these sites charge $$ for services other than printing.

sure they were made to make $, but they not only offered cloud hosting, but for well over a decade offered free 3rd party hosting - like people do here (and on other) forums.

by changing their content sharing rules - basically overnight, and without any warning to their users - they've destroyed YEARS worth of web content for hobbiests of all types. think of all the web forums that now have "you're over your hosting limit" photo's in the threads.

those people used a service in good faith that their content wouldnt be destroyed.

sure - many of us could afford the $400 a year - but not everyone can. and for someone just sharing content of their vacations, or hunting stories, or a trip out on their new bike, is it really worth $400 a year to keep those old posts alive? its a whole different thing for folks who are using their accounts to make $$ in a business. but taking away that free sharing ability to your users who are NOT making $$ with their content, again without any warning.... well yea.

how would you feel if PM (or any forum you frequent on a regular basis) wanted to charge you $40 a month to post. after you'd spent years sharing content on their platform for free.

and now quite frankly, with their download your album not working, OMFG with all the ads its gonna take me about 2 weeks to download all my pics from there
frown.gif

I am in no way defending PB, I agree with everything you said.

If I had to pay any forum to participate I probably wouldn't participate.

PB has had issues for the past year(s) or so and for those trying to rescue some images it appears they still have some issues.

My post was to head off future issues. Keep your images in several places, (as some have learned) and don't be surprised when more sites start charging for 3rd party boards.

Just look at the numbers in this 2 year old survey. A 30% drop in printing over 5 years. Those numbers are worse today I would assume. What would you do to sustain your business.

http://www.ppa.com/about/pressRelease.cfm?ItemNumber=8585

Last edited:
Back