300 AAC Blackout?

That would have been Robert Ruark. He had great taste in guns. I really wonder what he would say about something like a 300 black out AR platform for use in the field. It would surely be interesting.......

Originally Posted By: huntschoolThat would have been Robert Ruark. He had great taste in guns. I really wonder what he would say about something like a 300 black out AR platform for use in the field. It would surely be interesting.......

If you are an outdoorsman, do yourself a favor and find a copy of Robert Ruark's "the Old Man and the Boy" and "the boy grows older" both fine reading material with lessons from the old timers that still hold true today. Ruark books on Africa are good reads as well.

Here's a picture of my 300.
I started with just about every single 110 grain bullet out there for coyotes. What I didn't like was the pass throughs I was getting so I tried the new Sierra 135grn Varmint bullet and it seems to have stopped the problem. [/quote]

I like how you think, the 135 gr Varminter is my go to hunting bullet for my 300 BLK! [/quote]

Have wither of you done any forensic analysis on bullet performance with the 135's? I have been running the Nosler 110gn Varmageddon in a Ruger American Ranch with good results but have a box of the 135's to play with when time allows. What sort of groups and speed are you seeing? For a cheap little rifle, it does quite well.

At 70 plus years old I am proud to say I have read most all of Mr. Ruark's writings and enjoyed them all....... Including "Use Enough Gun."

I am [beeep] near one of those "old timers"...... but thanks for bringing that info to the attention of the younger folks here following this thread.

Frankly, not sure I understand your reply to my post......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coleridge"Bring enough gun" never beats "make a good shot"...

I believe that is the whole point. Bring enough gun that when the shot does not go exactly as planned that you can still put the animal down effectively.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: coleridge"Bring enough gun" never beats "make a good shot"...

...Bring enough gun that when the shot does not go exactly as planned that you can still put the animal down effectively.

.. +1 ..

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75

Originally Posted By: blingslingerI like how you think, the 135 gr Varminter is my go to hunting bullet for my 300 BLK!

Have wither of you done any forensic analysis on bullet performance with the 135's? I have been running the Nosler 110gn Varmageddon in a Ruger American Ranch with good results but have a box of the 135's to play with when time allows. What sort of groups and speed are you seeing? For a cheap little rifle, it does quite well.

Huckleberry75,

I use this bullet as well, and run it in my 16" AR. I helped Sierra with the development of this bullet, and it should expand down to velocities in the 1400-1500 fps range. I am getting 2150 fps out of it, and killed a couple of 160lb+ does last deer season, and neither ran more than 30-40 yds. I got no pass thru on either. It should be a hammer on coyotes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slickyboyboo...I am getting 2150 fps out of it, .... should be a hammer on coyotes.
What powder & COAL & any crimp?? TIA.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: coleridge"Bring enough gun" never beats "make a good shot"...

I believe that is the whole point. Bring enough gun that when the shot does not go exactly as planned that you can still put the animal down effectively.

Pretty much the same reason it irritates me when people "only shoot for the head" and then "either kills them immediately or misses entirely". Vitals for a reason...

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: slickyboyboo...I am getting 2150 fps out of it, .... should be a hammer on coyotes.
What powder & COAL & any crimp?? TIA.

I'm running 18.3 gr of Hodgdon Lil'Gun. I will have to measure the COAL this evening, I can't remember off the top of my head. Sierra suggests to start with a COAL of 2.00". My AR is also shooting well under and an inch at 100 yds, but it does have a Rock Creek cut rifled barrel too!

Originally Posted By: slickyboyboo I'm running 18.3 gr of Hodgdon Lil'Gun..

Thanks, that powder is what I use also.
Appreciate hearing your COAL & crimp, but not urgent, TIA.
Bob

Back