Cleaner substitute for cfe 223

varminter .223

My 22 Nosler gets good speeds with cfe 223 but accuracy seems to degrade after 15 or so shots. The barrel doesnt copper foul at all so I don't need a fouling eraser powder.

Last edited:
Don't hesitate I think you will be pleased with the results. This short grain powder meters very well and burns clean and has a reasonable amount of latitude in 223.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223My 22 Nosler gets good speeds with cfe 223 but accuracy seems to degrade after 15 or so shots. The barrel doesnt copper foul at all so I don't need a fouling eraser powder.

No, you need a new barrel. This caliber does not hold enough powder to degrade accuracy in 15 shots. I am shooting it in a 6 BRX and 6 Dasher with 30+g of powder, neither barrel fouls out.

I would question the wind on the days you were shooting and or the load, etc. Lots of factors.

Try H335 with about the same powder charge.

Examine the bore with a bore scope if you have one.

AA2230(cfe) and H335 should be two of the best powders with this case from bullet weights from 55-62g. Benchmark will be slower in speed, but should work very well.

I had good results with Ramshot Xterminator (alliant 2230), H4895, and Benchmark with the best groups from Benchmark with a close 2nd by H4895.

I chose to go with CFE223 because it had the fastest speed vs. group. I do agree that it is a very dirty powder with flashout conditions with night vision. I may revisit those other powders and sacrifice some speed.

Back