Started my 2017/2018 coyote season

Jim Byers

Read the whole thread to see why this is
1689.gif

]camp[/url]

I'll have to right up the story later, . I'm off to go shoot the bows with the boys.. archery antelope is only a few weeks away... But lots of action in just an eve and a morning...

You sure can sometimes. But those older dogs sure know how to use every little fold and ripple in the landscape to their advantage.. I had two pairs slip in on me and just appear at shotgun range.. and I didn't kill any of those... lol

I need to be a little more careful when choosing my set up, especially when solo.. it's tough to adequately cover all possible approach routes..

I like it when they talk to me a bit before they commit. Gives a guy a chance to get pointed in the right direction..lol

I witnessed something I hadn't seen before this weekend.. one pair were hard charging in and howling and barking on the run. that didn't work out so well for one of them..

The not so short version.. Last minute bonsai hunt..

At noon on Saturday I decided that I needed to clear my head and find some open space.. so I loaded up the basics and left my western Montana valley and headed southeast. At 4:30 pm I arrived at my base of operations.. see pic 1...

Spent the balance of the evening exploring some higher elevation country... a quick afternoon thunderstorm cooled the temperature a pleasant 20 degrees.. see pic 2.

I attempted a quick stand up high but as I suspected it didn't produce.. I was well above the sage valley that stretched out far below me.. My quarry would be found there. Only some scattered sign of an ambitious badger was seen. In fact, on my return walk back to my steed I spotted the old excavator... But he had apparently seen me first because he was rapidly gaining elevation and distance between us. I carried my new kimber this evening and quickly dropped to ground my bipod deployed. I found my target and waited for him to pause.. He obliged me at a distance of 220 or so and the crosshairs quickly settled... My efforts are rewarded with........ click.. silence.... as I hastily worked the action to actually chamber a round....He made it to the safety of his lair.. I smiled as I stood up.. haven't made that mistake in a long while.. I guess some lessons need to be revisited... with darkness quickly approaching I head back towards base. I'm anticipating the events to follow as I plan on trying some night calling tonight. I have a new tool in my toolbox that needs tested.. a gun mounted coyote brand light.. in green.
I arrive at base just as the last rays of light have nearly escaped. I have a few moments to glass a distant hillside.. low and behold my quarry paces.. it's aware of my presence. Hmmmm, I make a quick meal and consider my options..

I wait for full darkness to encapsulate the landscape and here in Montana that is nearly 11 o'clock this time of year.. a stark contrast to when I'm typically hunting these guys. The weather is a tad warmer as well.

I quietly walked 3 or 400 yards from camp swinging up on over a nearby ridge.. this is were I'll play the game. Call is placed 40 yards distant with a crossing breeze.. I start with soft distress, the air is dead calm. I turn on my light and begin scanning.. 5..6...7..8 minutes go by. Nothing but sage and earth do I see. I switch sounds.. 1..2..3...scan to the left and two green lights appear in the darkness.. he's coming.. Only 140 yards..I have him in the scope, I remind myself to be patient. Let him come I say.. 130..120..90..85 he stops.. I have a shot, and as I begin my squeeze he bolts!! Hard to the right I bark anxiously to get him to stop, he gives me a tenth of a second look back at 200, body obscured by sage.. and the green lights disappear into the night.. as I ponder the situation that just unfolded in front of me I notice a slight breeze on the back of my neck that wasn't there before.. Hmmmm. Wind switched why I was preoccupied.. Should have shot sooner.. another lesson revisited.. and it's only 11:30. the night is still young, I wonder what else I will learn this night.... off to stand 2..

Yes, do continue!
Seems like it takes me a few stands at the beginning of every year (and an occasional one during the year) to "knock the rust off".

Chapter 3:

With the new wind direction holding steady I ride north a few miles then turn west on to an old two track I know well. A mile further I turn back north easing into the wind. I stop a few hundred yards short of the ridge top in front me. I slipped silently and in complete darkness to the top. I get set up placing the call west of me a short distance. I wait a few minutes just listening to the still of the night. I begin again with soft distress. 3...4..6..7.minutes go by. I'm impressed on how far the green glow illuminates. I change it up to a female long howl.. Just a couple. Just to see who might be out there in the dark. Nothing.. Hmmm. I have to be in some ones back yard. Male challenge is next. The silence is immediately punctuated by a pair angrily speaking to me, but they are a long ways off. Close to a mile I figure. We carry on a conversation for another 10 minutes or so but their sounds do not grow. Its time to move.. Going to have to close the gap..

Chapter 4:

I move just a half mile, to the top of the next ridge. A deep draw runs between me and my adversaries. But this is a good place. I have a good wind and a great vantage point. We begin the dance again. This time I start with a challenge. They answer immediately. I respond quickly increasing my volume. He....They do as well. I am scanning all the while with the light and I catch a quick flash of the green lights. They come on and off as Christmas lights do when a bulb is going bad in the strand. Getting closer with each blink. My position doesn't allow from prone or even sitting so I'm forced to rest on my sticks standing. My least favorite position. The pair is reluctant to cross into the deep draw below me instead seeming to favor to parallel me on the opposite ridge. They are at 250 and 270 or so respectively. I focus my beam on the closer of the two. Struggling to keep them in the sight all the while playing my song. Finally the one stops to survey the situation. Its now or never. The crosshairs still for a moment and the song is cut short by a clap of thunder. I hear a solid report echo back to me as I see the coyote fall she struggles back to her feet only to fall again to the hard earth. Once again she regains her footing only to disappear a short distance away. I scan the perimeter for her mate but only darkness shines back to me. I sit down and rest for a moment, just enjoying the peace and quiet that only the wild open places can offer. The only sound I can here are crickets.. I check my watch. 12:30 am. I then hear far in the distance a serenade erupt. A pair hear, a pair there, another over that way. As the adrenaline subsides I realize just how fatigued I am. I had a short night last evening, and the sun will rise here in just over 4 1/2 hours. I'll call it quits for tonight and head back towards base. Catch a few zzzz's and get back after them in the am. This night hunting is fun, but I suspect a partner would make it a little easier. A lot to do in the dark alone. I shall have to search for someone with a similar obsession....
Its time to rest a bit, sunrise is not really that far off.

to be continued......

I wake at 5 am. I choose to sleep in the truck versus rolling out my bedroll. I never sleep well like that or maybe it was just the anticipation of what awaited me at sunrise.

I fire up my little backpack stove and heat some water, instant coffee will have to suffice this morning. I am no connoisseur of such things but out in the real world I really dislike instant. But here, in the wild open spaces, is tastes just fine.
As I sip my morning brew a slight ribbon of pink appears on the horizon to the east. The air is once again dead calm, and nothing seems to be stirring. But I know out in the darkness that there are predators, just like me, hunting...

During the night the wind has switched again, its coming from the northeast. I will travel south a couple miles and make my first stand of this new day there. As I get set up, the landscape in front of me begins to appear out of the darkness. Slowly...slowly...God is turning on the dimmer switch and lighting up the world. I wait until I can see well before I make my first sounds. I opt for a female long howl... A pair quickly responds...then another...long ways off but close enough. We carry on a conversation for a bit until thru my glass a couple new bumps appear on a distant ridgeline.. It is the first pair that responded and they are pacing and scoping out this intruder. I start a few low volume distress. They seem interested but just wont commit. I take my eyes from them for a few moments and begin scanning for any other possible players. When I look back they are no where to be seen. I scan intently both with my eyes and glass as I can see a long ways. Nothing. I howl again. Nothing... I begin to lose focus as I am nearing the 20 minute mark. They must have left I reason and I consider ending the stand but all of a sudden two coyotes just appear like ghostly apparitions in the sage not 40 yards distant. They bounce on my call and I move into action. But these are not young dogs and quickly know they've been fooled. They exit in haste dropping into the same hidden wash that covered their approach. They appear briefly on a ridge a few hundred yards distant and I attempt a foolish shot. Before the sear on my trigger broke I knew this was a wasted bullet, not to mention I just further educated two old dogs and alerted the whole area to my presence. I sit there in disgust with myself.... "You know better damnit!" I curse myself.

I pick up my pride and carry on... Another lesson revisited... The shadows are still very long I must get to my next location..

to be cont.

Back