on the Hunt (pun intended! hehe) for some new tires

Plant.One

so my crew cab s10 is currently running on 235/75/15's.

due to a (now corrected) mechanical issue on the front end suspension i've got one tire thats pretty wore down. the rest of my tires are ok. but would need replacement before spring anyway. so i'm going to jump on a new set this fall.

got some decent rebate promo's coming up in august and i'm lokoing at the following tires and would like some input.

will be mostly road use, but i also hunt form this truck, and being in Michigan getting into some deep snow in the winter is a for sure possibility. i am a high mileage driver (35-40k/yr) so longevity is also important to me. i want to stay within a M/S all season type tire.

i'm currently running cooper discovery AT3's. they're on my possible list for sure.

i've also been told that Hankook dynapro ATM's are a very close quality/performance tire

Michelin defender LTX's are also on the list as recomended to me. these have the best mileage rating of the 3 - but dont have as aggressive of a tread as the other two.

after rebate the price on these three tires is negligible, so its not a cost factor.

looking for some input on off road use for the michelin's, especially in relatively deep snow. i'd love to be able to get the distance out of the michelin's without giving up the traction i'm used to from the cooper at/3's in the snow.

my dad runs hankook's but even as a medium-high mileage driver, he's still replacing them every two years or so. no complaints on driving them in deep snow.

I put the Hankook on my wife's Denali (267/70R17) and my son put them on his ZJ in the same 235 size you are looking at. I went with them on the Wife's car mostly on price. Son went with them for the same reason.

They all balanced well, none of them took "too much" weight. Very smooth road tire. But makes more noise than I'd have expected.

I run BFG KO2's on my LX470 daily driver and Duratrac E range on my Ram 1500.

Would say the Hankooks might be a slightly better icy/snowy/slippery ride tire than the Duratracs. Maybe. The Hankooks don't have anything on the KO2's in that category though. I couldn't say one was better than the other without running both on the same rig for awhile.

I do like the KO2 much better in deep snow and general off road. No direct experience yet but I bet the sidewall on the KO2 is significantly tougher. Not a consideration for infrequent or mild off road use but a major consideration on the vehicles I drive. The KO2's look to be wearing a lot longer than the Duratracs. My KO2's are quieter than the Hankooks or my D-tracs. When the D-tracs are done I'll replace them with KO2's.

I think the Hankook is a good tire for the money though. For my families rigs that hardly see any dirt at all, I think it's a really good winter tire with typical all terrain dry pavement performance. Nice smooth compliant ride, not obnoxiously loud. How they will wear, I can't say yet, but I think they came with a pretty long tread life rating.

Buddy runs the LTX on his Ecoboost F-150. Used to tow a heavy travel trailer a lot. He has a lot of miles on them and they still have a long way to go. No question in my mind they are the mileage King of the ones you are looking at. They aren't as good a icy/snowy/slippery road tire though. And suck offroad for anything more than mild terrain. I like to kid my buddy that the "M/S" rating on his tires stands for "Manicured Surface". That said, most people never drive on anything more than that anyway. My buddy has taken his truck plenty of places offroad and been fine. The sidewalls are 'ell for stout. Tough tires.

I don't know the weights of any of these except the KO2's and Duratracs which are both kind of heavy. Michelin is probably even heavier, but I don't know. I've always taken unsprung weight into consideration when trying to make a final choice between a few candidates. The lightest one doesn't usually win, but depending on application, it could.

- DAA

I had found the BFGoodrich AT to wear very well off road and the 3 ply tri guard sidewall to be very tough.
if you develop an alignment problem they wore quickly and never stopped. They rode rough but I tolerated it for the performance.

I am now running a second set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo2 that are in the size category with commercial anti chip rubber compound. This category gets about double the mileage of the standard Revo2. They have also self corrected from an alignment issue. These have acheived the highest mileage ever for me and been the best all around tire from road to very deep snow and mud at 55,000 miles then 2 more years on a friends feed truck.
The standard Revo2's worked well with dismal treadwear.

Originally Posted By: tripod3
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

so ironically enough.. looking at the "help me choose a tire" over there at tirerack... based on my driving the Michelene LTX M/S come up top of the charts. if i add in just one more bubble of off road use (more mud traction) it goes right to the BFG KO2.

however the BFG's have no treadlife warranty on them. which due to my high mileage driving pretty much kills the deal.

if this was a dedicated play truck, it'd be a whole different conversation of course, but as this gets used for work and driven heavily, that has to come into play.

ive had good results from Yokohama in the past on my car - great life out of them - but theres' no rebates on them at the moment, and my dealer doesnt carry the geolanders anyway.

as always, the input is appreciated, and kind of confirms were i've been leaning anyway
smile.gif

I'm running Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my truck now and have been pretty pleased with them. They are one of the few big truck tires (285/70/17) with a mileage warranty (50,000 or 55,000, don't recall which). Their performance is quite good in everything except real boggy mud. Good on sand, ice, snow, pavement, and so on. They're pretty quiet and after three years of pretty hard use, they're still wearing quite well. I want something a bit more aggressive next time, so I'll probably not get them again. But I'll look long and hard at Cooper SSTs.

Are Hancooks made in the US?

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI thought about getting a second set of rims and tires for hunting trips.

Anyone else do that?

My dad does this. A set of Michelin LTX for the spring and summer, then Cooper STTs for fall and winter hunting seasons. I only put about 7k miles a year on my truck (hunting/rving rig), so I don't worry about it. They'll age out before I wear them out.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I've run most of the tires you mention. The michelin are pretty good on wet grass, ride good and wear well on the road. They are not the best in snow and the sidewalls are vulnerable.
Geolander may be worth a look.

I had found the BFGoodrich AT to wear very well off road and the 3 ply tri guard sidewall to be very tough.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

+1 on the Goodrich. Put a set of the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's on truck when new (2003) and they held up great and were good in mud. No snow down here
grin.gif
. Replaced front tires a couple of weeks ago w/the newer BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 which, according to link above are even better than the originals. Tread same except wraps a couple of inches around sidewall so should even be a bit better in mud.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI thought about getting a second set of rims and tires for hunting trips.

Anyone else do that?

i used to do that when i had my K5, but alas i dont have a place to store an extra set of wheels and tires right now. so for me its one and done.

if i wasnt a renter, that would be the track i'd be on. one set for summer cruising, one for winter/hunting.

it would also be easier if this wasnt my daily driver and seeing the kind of mileage i do for work (bought the truck a year ago and i've put just over 40k on it)

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI'm running Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my truck now and have been pretty pleased with them. They are one of the few big truck tires (285/70/17) with a mileage warranty (50,000 or 55,000, don't recall which). Their performance is quite good in everything except real boggy mud. Good on sand, ice, snow, pavement, and so on. They're pretty quiet and after three years of pretty hard use, they're still wearing quite well. I want something a bit more aggressive next time, so I'll probably not get them again. But I'll look long and hard at Cooper SSTs.

Are Hancooks made in the US?

I have had good luck with the Coopers.
AT3 (265/65/17) on my Silverado and STT (295/70/17) on my Tahoe for winter tires and AT3's (285/70/17) for summer.

No complaints and i do everything from a lot of interstate driving to my fair share of off roading on farms and boggy swamps hog hunting and getting those midnight calls to go winch out buddy's that gotten stuck way off the beaten path. Chewing thru mud up to the step bars and they keep on going.

My last set of STT (265/75/17) gave me 48k miles, my newest set of STT (295/70/17) are at 42k miles and are showing their wear. But a worn Idler arm and Idler bracket and Wheel bearing will do that to them.
My next set will be the STT PRO in 295/70/17 since they discontinued the older STT.

I ran a set of the Hankook ATM on my Silverado and they did really well too. Just couldn't find a set with a decent price so went with coopers from Discount Tire Direct. Their prices were unbeatable with free shipping and road hazard warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nonnieselman

My last set of STT (265/75/17) gave me 48k miles, my newest set of STT (295/70/17) are at 42k miles and are showing their wear. But a worn Idler arm and Idler bracket and Wheel bearing will do that to them.
My next set will be the STT PRO in 295/70/17 since they discontinued the older STT.

thats where i'm at... worn ball joints/control arm bushings smoked one on me.

otherwise they've got 40k on them and the other 3 still probably have a winters worth of driving on them, if not more. i'm religious about rotation - i run synthetic oil changed every 6k and get a rotation after every oil change.

Every oil change (5000-7000 Miles) i go thru and check all the suspension and steering now. Try to catch a worn $20 part vs wearing a $250 Tire.

I have had 2 sets of hankooks on my 2014 f150, my 2017 came with them stock. They are the best tires I have owned. I think I got about 50k out of the set I wore all the way down. keep in mind that at 17k I had destroyed the factory goodyears that came on that 2014 new. I am hard on tires, I never seem to get the miles so many claim. What I have found though is running p metric tires the last 1/4 of tread means they are especially susceptible to punctures and holes if you run gravel roads alot. in fact I wouldn't run them on gravel roads alot once the tread gets that low. OR do what I do and buy road hazard, AND keep a plug kit in your truck. I have a custom plug kit that I put together. Its got plugs that can plug tractor tires LOL, as well as small medium and large sizes. I just make sure my tires have good tread on them come dog season and I never have issues with holes.

Good idea on the tractor tire size plugs. I'll have to google up some of those to add to my kit. I've had to stuff more than one regular sized plug in a few times.

Once had to break the bead so I could cram a bunch of plugs in the sidewall and stitch around them with wire just to limp out on (two flat day, other one was a complete shred...). The stretch of road that happened on is rough on tires. Lot of old railroad spikes and iron debris. Led a group on an overnight run out there a few years ago, out of ten rigs we had about five flat tires. And of course one rig had two flats. That's where the ability to plug a tire really pays off.

- DAA

Oh... P.S...

P-metric? P- METRIC??? On a truck????? Going the places you go? Dude, get some LT's!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOh... P.S...

P-metric? P- METRIC??? On a truck????? Going the places you go? Dude, get some LT's!

- DAA

the hankooks don't say P in front of the size but they don't say LT either. so I guess they are something in between. if your talking highway tread goodyears that came on my 2014 f 150 when it was new. Then yeah don't take those in the bush!! I might still be somewhere in wyoming right now if not for the plug kit when I tried those highway tread goodyears on a calling trip. I think I had to fix 3 flats one day.

the hankooks have never given me a flat when they have good tread on them.

the other handy thing about a plug kit is, sometimes I have gotten flats when the dog calling has gotten HOT, the last thing I want to do is put a damper on it and change a dam tire. I have been known to stick half a dozen plugs into a tire rather than put on the spare just so I don't have to take a break calling. That was when I was running LT tires on diesels, I did that. I also do carry enough crap with me that if I do change a tire I can do it quickly, just for that reason alone.

I try to prepare for everything I can when heading into the wild.

I've run BF Goodrich KM2's (garbage in snow), BF Goodrich A/T's (excellent all around), General Grabber AT2's (terrible tread life on a half ton truck), and BF Goodrich KM1 (all right tire, not sure on tread life). With all that said, I'm going to Cooper E-loads on my Silverado. The AT2's just don't hold up to half ton truck wear, nor to heavy hauling. That doesn't apply to your situation obviously, but tossing out what I know about them. They went great in the snow, though!

Back