vx1, vx2, ultimate slam?

ohihunter2014

general deer hunting one week a year with a 45-70 what would be your pick and why? I was going to buy a vx2 but work hours got cut last week so i have to penny pinch.

right now i can get an ultimate slam or vx2 for about $160 and the vx1 for under $100

I've sighted in a couple of vx-1 for others lately. Pretty decent glass for the price, sure a lot better than the old style.i like the fixed eye focus piece better than the one on the vx-2, just set it once and lock it down. Clicks on turrets seem to track well. See that the major retailers are selling the new vx1 for 170$ about 30$ off right now new. Been using the Talley one piece lightweight mounts and have been very pleased with there quality too.

The VX-2 is STILL better. Better coatings, more precise lens grind, edge blackening, cleaner and flatter image, erector system is superior. If you are truly strapped that hard for this scope purchase, I would look at alternate forms of income or simply save for longer and get the better scope.

pahntr760 said:
Then there's this... FF II [/quote

How do you guys feel about the Burris? That's a great deal! Have to put a $150 battery in the truck, starters going I'm pretty sure and have to get up $1k for a paint repair where they paints pealing due to bad prep.

For that price, I'd be all over the FF II. It isn't the scope that a VX-2 is, but it is a dang fine piece for their asking price. If you're not a 24HCF member, PM me your e-mail and contacts and I will put you in contact with that seller.

Bought a vxII once put it on a Marlin 45-70 guide gun, would not stand the recoil. Still have the Burris that replaced it.

Originally Posted By: old catBought a vxII once put it on a Marlin 45-70 guide gun, would not stand the recoil. Still have the Burris that replaced it.

was it the older vx2 or newer one. I read they changed them a few years ago from vari x to vx.

I would think luepold out of anything would handle it.

Probably older one. I was shooting handloads, factory loads are pretty mild.
Only way you will know is try. I have not had good look with the lower end scopes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old catProbably older one. I was shooting handloads, factory loads are pretty mild.
Only way you will know is try. I have not had good look with the lower end scopes.

thanks for the info.

I just went to cabelas and tried the vx1, vx2, and redfield. they didn't have a burris but the vx1 seemed to get the blackness when cranked to 7x. I noticed a little better quality in the vx2. scale of 1-10 id put the vx1 at about a 8, redfield 8, vx2 9. I really couldn't tell any difference other then the images seemed a little clearer and brighter. the redfield seemed a smidge better then a vx1 but the tube and everything else felt junky.

The VX-2, at first and last light, isn't comparable to the VX-1. Though I still feel the VX-1 is a rather fair value.

If I were you, I'd be buying one of them used Burris' until you can save enough for a VX-3i or better...JMO

I have a half dozen VX-2 Leupolds. I also have several Burris FII scopes. Comparing 2x7's the Leupold is the brightest at first grey light and at last light. I've made this comparison multiple times on real hunts in the Ozark timber. With that said, the Leupold does cost more money than the Burris. You get what ya pay for and I say that with no knock on the Burris as its a very good scope for the money.

I just looked at the ad referenced above. He has now dropped the prices.......

"2 Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 riflescopes left; Ballistic plex reticles. $80 each or both for $150"

That is a Great opportunity/deal for a cash strapped buyer!

Originally Posted By: jcs271I just looked at the ad referenced above. He has now dropped the prices.......

"2 Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 riflescopes left; Ballistic plex reticles. $80 each or both for $150"

I figured that ad would have ended this entire debate. But, one can only lead the horse to water.

Originally Posted By: BoomstickIs the vx-2 you plan on getting new? if so, where did you find one for $160?

yes, amazon rewards cash. sorry I couldn't help

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: jcs271I just looked at the ad referenced above. He has now dropped the prices.......

I figured that ad would have ended this entire debate. But, one can only lead the horse to water.

you did lead me to water and I took a big ole drink of leupold vx2.
smile.gif

thanks for the help. I don't do paypal classified buying so used my amazon rewards cash and with burris rings I paid $170.

Back