Getting on my liberal state soap box

Independent

I just had deal fall through with a PM forum member. I am not saying who it doesn't matter.

My irritation lies with the misconception that states with MAGAZINE capacity laws can't own AR15's.

I happen to be in Colorado. I also happen to be a law enforcement officer. I can legally buy "hicap" mags. Some people seem to think because our liberal state legislature decided to go against the will of the majority of the state and passed a 15 round mag limit that we can't buy mags or rifles. I am here to tell you that simply isn't true.

I get now how people in California must feel. I do understand the extra hoops some dealers have to go through to transfer a California gun may make it not worth the hassle but it is very frustrating when someone can't get a decent deal on a legal firearm because it is fed by a MAGAZINE.

I have read all the flak Magpul took when this law went into effect for selling mags to LEO's. I am calling BS on that argument that those that serve the public will use those mags against the people they serve. I know for fact that officers do not care how many rounds you have in your mag. A threat is threat. Don't commit crimes with your firearms and we will never even know or care. That said don't punish people for living in a liberal state it's not their fault.

There now let the hateful responses begin.

Stepping off my politically charged soap box now.

Last edited:
Ive tried to buy bolt actions from a big out of state dealer and they wont even sell or ship to my comunist, broke, mismanaged state of Illinois. Thanks Chicago!

I think you are just echoing the sentiments of a lot of people here on the forum. Laws describe punishment, they don't stop crime. Last time I looked there was a list of drugs that are illegal yet there are still junkies. Murder, rape, robbery, kidknapping all illegal yet still happen.

You hit it on the head, a threat is a threat. Muskets killed a lot of people in a lot of wars and they were single shots. Mag capacity restrictions don't keep people safe. Just makes the sheeple feel like they are doing something to stop something that scares them and that they don't understand.

I turn over the soapbox.

While I completely understand your frustration, I really can't blame someone for not wanting to sell certain items to people in certain states vis the internet.

I'm LEO as well and extremely pro 2nd.

Not long ago I sold a bunch of pre-ban magazines to someone out of state... I did my homework but realized how hard it can be to fully understand what's legal and illegal.

Despite how much information you provide to a seller, you're still just a guy on the internet.

I can only imagine your frustration but I don't think people or most people want to be jerks about the whole thing. It's just liberal states scare people off plain and simple. I'd sell to someone in a liberal state who was a hunter/ gun enthusiast as long as I knew what I was selling to said buyer was legal. I can punish the state for being unreasonable without necessarily punishing those who are stuck behind enemy lines. I'd rather not give states like California for example, any business due to how they treat law abiding people. Yet cater to criminals. I could go on and on about that, but that's another time and place. However, it doesn't mean I hold it against those who are like minded like myself yet still choose too or have too live there.

I do understand where you guys are coming from. That said I was willing and offered to send a copy of my LEO ID as well as a Firearm Purchase Authorization form signed by my Lieutenant saying I could purchase the weapon. In the spirit of "feeling comfortable" with the deal explained that this form makes it so I don't even have to complete a background check in my state as an LEO on an approved purchase for work.

I am not blaming the guy I do get it but man how much more upfront can a guy be? I mean I can list off several retailers that will mail directly to me "hicap mags" with a copy of my ID. That said some won't sell to me because I am Colorado. Even they shy away from it. CDNN is one who will not sell to me. They will not sell me an AR even though I can walk into any gun store here and purchase one as a civilian or LEO. I guess what I am saying is it surprises me just how much confusion and well let's face it fear people have on these laws.

I sure hope conservative law makers recognize just how important these matters are to law abiding citizens. I will tell you that if my state or city I work for ever tells me to enforce a firearm law I do not support or agree with up to and including the ludicrous idea of weapons confiscation that is the day they can have their badge back and I will walk along with 95% of the other police officers and the sheep that stay to enforce such laws will be killed by God fearing flag waving Americans.

There is that a big enough of a stand? haha

Welcome to my world. I live in Illinois. If I happen to be travelling in a neighboring state and see something I like, its usually a 50-50 chance on whether or not the shop will do business with an Illinois resident. Buying ammo via mail-order is another ordeal. Some companies won't ship to Illinois, just because they don't want to deal with FOID cards. Heck, even buying a firearm in Illinois is a PITA. Want to buy a stripped AR lower receiver? You'll need 2 forms of ID (FOID and DL) and you'll still have to wait 3 days to pick up your non-functional piece of aluminum. It sucks being treated like a 2nd class citizen, doesn't it?

First off, let me assure you that I completely sympathize with you and the ridiculous situation in which all firearms enthusiasts of your (and a few other) state(s) find yourselves trapped!

Unfortunately, those problems can only be fixed from within, not without. Colorado is a gorgeous state, a hunter's paradise, yet the liberals have managed to take control and screw it up.

As you so aptly pointed out, confusion reigns regarding legality of firearms related transactions within your state and it is wrong to expect citizens of the rest of the world to understand the often unreasonable restrictions placed on residents of your state(s). You cannot blame individuals/businesses in the free world for being cautious in dealing with residents of a "progressive" state at risk of putting their own freedom to conduct business or enjoy their avocation. Simple as that.

Regards,
hm

I don't care what document or paperwork you send me, if i read the item is illegal in your state, i wouldn't do it either.

We all have enough hassles in our lives, and don't need more.

If high capacity mags are illegal in your state, or having more than 15 rounds, it's simple, and personally think the LEOs should also have to follow all of the same laws as the citizens.

All animals should be equal. (animal farm)

I understand that you may not care, but i always seem to run into the one that does. your state should repeal that non-sense, and just be happy with shooting people is illegal, and the number of bullets your gun holds isn't stopping squat.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI don't care what document or paperwork you send me, if i read the item is illegal in your state, i wouldn't do it either.

We all have enough hassles in our lives, and don't need more.

If high capacity mags are illegal in your state, or having more than 15 rounds, it's simple, and personally think the LEOs should also have to follow all of the same laws as the citizens.

All animals should be equal. (animal farm)

I understand that you may not care, but i always seem to run into the one that does. your state should repeal that non-sense, and just be happy with shooting people is illegal, and the number of bullets your gun holds isn't stopping squat.

Just remember the whole part of animal farm- "all animals are equal, some are just more equal then others" . It's kind how government looks at us and them.

That is exactly what i was referencing..

I see this over and over, and more and more.

The Oregon shooting is an example of Government power

As is the Government with the Obama care and how they exempted themselves, and their staff.
Corruption, again Government is exempt.

CCW LEO can walk into a business, a private person with a CCW cannot.

Government can get any weapon they want, the public cannot.

Government officials break laws, steal, and walk free.
Look at no one other than Hillary herself. Anyone of us would be in jail.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ

Tbone

Please explain this. Is there a case where someone was charged for entering a business with CCW? If so do you have a link to credible article covering the facts? I am very interested in this from a law enforcement standpoint.

Originally Posted By: IndependentOriginally Posted By: Tbone-AZ

Tbone

Please explain this. Is there a case where someone was charged for entering a business with CCW? If so do you have a link to credible article covering the facts? I am very interested in this from a law enforcement standpoint.

I will not presume to speak for TBone but I will pass along my two cents on this topic:

ARS 13-3102 states:
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01;

It goes on to state later in the ARS:

C. Subsection A, paragraphs 2, 3, 7, 10, 11, 12 and 13 of this section shall not apply to:

1. A peace officer or any person summoned by any peace officer to assist and while actually assisting in the performance of official duties; or

3. A warden, deputy warden, community correctional officer, detention officer, special investigator or correctional officer of the state department of corrections or the department of juvenile corrections; or

I realize that I am paraphrasing the Arizona Revised Statute but businesses can post a prohibition of firearms that does not apply to LEO's, Military, judicial officers, corrections officers and the like. I personally have no ill will towards LEO, I think they do a fine job in some very bad situations and I look out for them whenever I can. But like TBone stated, it does seem like the governments give the wink wink nod nod to their certain people while not allowing citizens the same considerations. In the state of Arizona it is in the ARS that an establishment that prohibits a CCW from possessing on their property must provide secure facilities to lock them up. But there are NO punishments if an establishment does not provide it even though that is a violation of the ARS.

I hear you. To be honest I do not know if Colorado has such a law. I have always operated on the belief that if someone is legally carrying that if they enter a posted no weapons area that if asked to leave they should
do so but otherwise they have the right to carry.

Originally Posted By: BoomstickMost of you guys have it easy. Try living and owning the guns you want in New York....

Half of my team lives there. I could live there or Indiana. You couldn't pay me enough to live in NY. Literally I would not move there for 10X the money. Or California.

Originally Posted By: IndependentI hear you. To be honest I do not know if Colorado has such a law. I have always operated on the belief that if someone is legally carrying that if they enter a posted no weapons area that if asked to leave they should
do so but otherwise they have the right to carry.

I will climb back on the box. I agree. Nobody should have to give up their rights to protect themselves. Legislators need to get back to holding individuals responsible for their actions and NOT "possible" actions, intended actions, whatever they want to call them these days. I have yet to see a gun jump up by itself and go on a rampage. It seems to need at least a little input from a meat sack.

I yield the box yet again.

Back