suppressor throwing sparks

reaper4

Yesterday I went out to show a buddy my can and the first round threw a couple sparks. I wasn't quite sure if my eyes were playing tricks on my so I removed the can (it was tight) and took a look. I couldn't see any marks on the endcap so I screwed her back down and decided to shoot another....definatly sparks, so I brought the gun inside removed the can and tried to inspect it with a flashlight. I couldn't see anything that looked wrong so I figured it may be dirty so I threw it in my ultrasonic cleaner and ran it through a cycle. Sprayed it out with compressed air really well and put it away. Today I decided to shoot a couple more rounds and see what happened. First round threw sparks for sure. Seemed like more than I have seen coming out of a barrel. The second didn't throw any at all. I'm not sure if I should be worried or what but I can't seem to figure out what is going on here. I guess I could try to shoot a group and see what that looks like but I have not had this problem before and don't want to turn a small problem into a big one. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any input would be great

Last edited:
Totally normal.

A lot depends on what powder is being used and length of the barrel and the caliber.

Flash and sparks are greatly attenuated with most any suppressor at night as a general rule when compared to no suppressor.

Grendel.jpg

Thanks skypup. I hadn't noticed them before but still sounds quiet and groups are good so I'll keep on rolling with it.

Originally Posted By: rustybucketThats definitely normal. My YHM 30 cal stainless blows sparks out all the time shooting W748 powder on and AR.

The first is the worst. Lots of air, lots of gas, gets you lots of pop and flash on the first round. My YHM does the same.

I can't tell any frp but have put about 200 rounds through it and never noticed a spark until now. ....oh well I guess I'll keep going with it. Maybe I just didn't notice

After the first round the suppressor is anoxic as the oxygen has been used up until more oxygen filters back into it, of course nitrocellulose does not need oxygen to burn but the sparks are generally unburned powder at high temp hitting the oxygen in the atmosphere.

Changing gunpowder to faster burn for barrel length will mute the sparks from occurring.

My gated NVOs do not shut down when using a suppressor, however they certainly do when not using a suppressor from the huge flash.

Back