Air Force Test Subject Needed

Tstorm1

A couple months ago I saw a duracoat job on a rifle stock that I couldn't live without...but no way was I going to pay what they wanted. So, lets learn to do it! Off to Google, YouTube and several other sites...order airbrush, paint (general practice), some masking tape and a spare stock off Ebay so I don't ruin mine. How hard can this be? Decided I needed a test subject, some stainless mugs should do the trick. Lets do flames...FAIL! Looked good but acrylic paint doesn't come off stencil well if you let it dry for days...curse having to work! Remove with acetone and start over...and again...and again. Lots of learning along the way and finally realized cutting blue masking tape for a stencil sucked, so I bought a vinyl/arts-n-crafts cutters and some high-bake vinyl! Now we're cookin! Get 64oz growler, cut stencils, couple coats from rattle cans (no airbrush on this one) and cross fingers as I unwrap... Still needs a couple coats of clear.

Did this for a guy I work with. He retired Air Force and I did a couple years in the Navy...We poke back and forth pretty good but if we didn't it just wouldn't feel right. Still haven't gotten to duracoat yet, but have a pretty good handle on the airbrush and stencils! Anyone got tips for duracoat?

20170727_153134_zpshekbtfkx.jpg

20170727_155754_zpssvrm4szn.jpg

Back