ATV compact an idea opinions?

jase

Harvest time here in the Uk at moment, Shooting rabbits foxes from atvs in the fields.
I got to thinking all the ATVs were too big to fit in small van and how handy a small 100125cc atv could perhaps be a good way of getting around on the less demanding arable land could save time and be a base for water food shot game and varmints whatever, better than a full pack.
I voiced my thoughts at lunch break halt. And i was immediately offered free a 100cc two stroke chinese ATv, friends kids old toy been parked under a shed 4 years and replaced with a bigger shiny example.
Fitted in the transit connect van easy, youth size small but not too bad got it running needed a new battery new fuel and carb cleaning.
Now my idea is to fit it with an ammo can up front a front bar rest fold able with wing nuts maybe a small rack just over the bodywork. Its on sand tyres big footprint its very light and i could perhaps shed some more weight if i removed the upper bodywork clam and abbreviated it with either cut out smaller sections of original body or just alloy panels, this would let me get rid of some bolt on bracket work could amount to 15lbs or more unnecessary weight, all could be turned into payload .
Plan using it as a kind of portable seat come blind if need be, quiet light no crop damage and its far easier than walking and all fits easy inside my van.
Now? am i that blinded by the compactness how it is easy for me to transporter, so smitten by it in fact i am metaphorically not seeing the wood for the trees.
Would you give this idea a go or just trailer normal atv when needed?
One other thing i do feel i would use this small atv more than taking a bigger one.. Your thoughts for or against.

I

If it fits your needs, and makes it easier trudging for you, then why not?

Surely would be easier to load into the back of a van than a full size version.

one thing to watch out for on those little chinese "ATVs"... they're more of a go-kart dressed up to look like a quad. They'll get you from A -> B on relatively gentle surfaces, but Dont expect it to handle/balance like an actual quad. However if you're willing to accept the limitations of what it is, you should be able to get some serviceable use out of it. for the price you paid - its worth experimenting with for sure!
thumbup1.gif

a big watch point is that they're often stupid cheeped out on the suspension so expect early failure on the control arm bearings. from what ive seen, they tend to shatter on you with an adult riding them - or even an aggressive younger rider. We have a few in the extended family and every one of them has had the problem at one time or another, even with just the older kids driving them.

my cousin was given a pair of the chinese 150cc machines that him and the wife use to putter around the farm.

he machined out some proper bushings from some oil impregnated bronze he had on hand to replace the cheap bearings they use on the control arms.

as a fairly large guy i feel like a bear on a bicycle when i'm riding on them when i go visit, compared to my Kawasaki Mohave or the Honda's my folks have.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ej6XD.gif

Thank you for feedback on this and i have seen the bushes give out on the china atvs in the past, but will take your lead and turn some decent bushes up on the lathe when they give out.
These things are built down to a price and are compromised as such.
It is narrow in the track and it needs care on river bankings i notice or running one wheel in deep ruts.
Found a better way of loading it on the van, rather than climb in lift the front in first i found reversing up to the van picking it up by the back frame it sits on the van floor you can push it back in and lift the front very easy with the front push bar which is ideal hight to pick up with your back straight and walk it backwards into the van. Its ideal for this no ramps nothing just a ratchet pull strap to anchor it down at the back.
I will have a think and a few hours knocking up a rest for the rifle and an ammo box i got lined up as a storage utility box.
Ill post a few pictures up once i get it done i just like the fact i can wing it in the little van, saves taking the van too far into bad ground or tracks and save any potential damage on the van too.

Back