Step drill bit...or chuck for lathe?

I thank you for your service to our country and for your sacrafice. I pray that you can concour your illness. I truly do.

My apologies for the post on and in the Custom Calls Forum. It seems I was wrong on that count.

That's the last I have to say on this Richard. Get well.

Last edited:
Back to the topic...

Micah, I use a step bit. It's an inexpensive way to bore out a call bell. I bought a titanium three bit set for $17 shipped on eBay. (Watch shipping, as there are a ton for sale on eBay but gouge you for the shipping). Locally, they want $25-$35 for just a single bit.

I'm sure that a chuck is a far better and purist way of turning a call, and produces much better looking calls. But there is an expense that goes with it.

My thoughts...Tony

Hey Tony,

Could you get a pic up of how that step bit is set up?

To show basically what is and how it works. That would give Micah a good visual of how the operation works.

That and I've never seen one myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brad

No problem. I'll do one tonight, when I get home. I've got some more cedar calls to turn, so I can take pics of all the steps, if you're interested.

As far as the bit, there ain't much to it. It's the same one I used on my howler build when doing the mouthpiece.

Tony

Let's try to get this back on topic, for Micah's sake more then anything right now.
Al and Richard, while I understand the frustration coming from both of you, none of that really needed to be on the public forums.

Tony,
thanks for the offer on taking the pics of how to use the step bit!
I'll be looking forward to seeing them.
Micah

A step bit just looks like a upside down christmas tree.Starts small and the deeper you drill the bigger hole it drills.In my opinion the inside of the bell don't matter,as long as it sounds good.Straycat

You are right Straycat. The problem for most is how to get the inside of the call the correct diameter, have the holes come out centered, be able to finish the ends of the call and the inside, and do it safely. The answer, or at least one of them, is very simple, very safe and, if you guys know me at all, it's pretty cheap too.

Interested? Stay tuned.

Al

Al,sure I'm interested,thats my biggest problem.LOL Maybe I'm a little 'off center'myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Straycat

Micah,
I use a cheap Harbor Freight lathe and everything cheap . You don't need to spend a fortune to make quality calls. I made a tutorial and it is posted over on the Texas Pred Possey board if you want to read it. It isn't the way a lot of guys make calls but it works for me and a few other call makers that are hobby makers here on this board. Really, you don't need to spend a fortune on the stuff to make calls that work and sell...Walt

Back