Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3084346 - 08/05/17 12:07 PM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: jase]
derbyacresbob Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Kern County, CA
Thanks jase!

I was happy with the 1257 fps 1-1/2 oz load. I was glad to see that the speed didn't drop down closer to 1100 fps.

I have at least 500, 1-1/2 oz loads and 150 1-3/8 oz loads to take apart and put back together with less powder in them.

#3084379 - 08/05/17 05:15 PM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: derbyacresbob]
jase Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Norfolk
You are welcome to that job , i hate unloading shotshells, sometimes you can get the wads out but some cases and wads they are tight to get past the fold edge area, i have 50 A381 loads in 89mm chedite hulls i have the shot out of, but still want the powder and would like to save the hulls and wads if i can.
i have eased the crimps out neat, yet poking my finger in the wad is moving nothing past the old fold, its looking like i will be destroying a good %age of them before i am done.

#3084389 - 08/05/17 07:37 PM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: jase]
derbyacresbob Offline

I have a plastic funnel that is tapered and it just fits into the hull. By pressing the hull against the funnel while turning the hull it opens up the crimp fold area pretty good.

Most of the wads pull out with needle nose pliers. If the wad doesn't want to come out I grab the wad petal across from the one I pulled on first and most of them come out.

I did have some TPS wads that would not come out of 2-3/4" Federal Gold Medal hulls so I cut them open with a cheap PVC pipe cutter right above the brass so it didn't damage the wads.

#3084475 - 08/06/17 11:05 AM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: derbyacresbob]
jase Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Norfolk
The wads in the Chedite Hulls are Indeed TPS wads, i will try the pliars see if i can draw them out. they were loaded with ITM and were stripped for 10ga loads i know Gamebore used A 381 in the ITM at that time but needs more adding to it to make effective steel loads, or i would have just added steel and crimped them back down . Nothing is ever quite that simple though is it.

#3084480 - 08/06/17 11:24 AM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: jase]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: jase
Thank you very much for sharing your test results here, i am sure many others appreciate this the same.

Likewise! Thank you VERY much for going to the trouble and expense and then sharing it for the benefit of everyone. I sure appreciate it! And, I'm going to act on it, too. I'll be disassembling my Hevi-shot BB/Steel loads and re-doing them.

- DAA

#3093936 - 09/28/17 07:41 PM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: DAA]
DLJ6 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for this, I still have a couple bottles that I bought when Steele first came out. I used to load 4x6 duplex for ducks and #1s for geese in 3" 12ga. hulls. I have the original PRI data that they put out. Used to shoot these through the original Patternmaster choke tube that ol Mike S. machined. Lots of good memories on the middle Potomac with a yellow lab, 870 express and these loads.

#3101875 - 11/05/17 08:22 PM Re: Warning on older Alliant Steel Powder Shotgun reloading data! [Re: DLJ6]
derbyacresbob Offline

All of my Steel Powder reduction or shot weight lowering on all of my denser than lead loads should be done tomorrow.

Today I weighed out the last 93 shot charges and sized and primed 93 Gold Medal hulls. I am not sure how many loads I started out with but I will end up with 2,221 completed shells. It took me 4 months at a slow and steady pace to get it done.

Most of the loads I pulled the shot, wads and powder and put them back together with 5.5 gr to 7.0 gr less Steel Powder. Some of the loads I just pulled the shot out and lowered the shot charge by 1/4 oz.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.