Information is key when confronting Anti-hunters

crapshoot

A great article was written in this months American Hunter magazine put out by the NRA. It is filled with facts that most non-hunters(and probably hunters also) don't know about how gun/hunting related taxes are used for conservation. I believe the author hit the nail on the head when he shows how to non-confrontationally inform the ignorant, ill-informed, and antagonistic anti's with facts and kindness.

Article below.

Quote: Oh, you hunt,” said a professor, her fork poised in the air with chicken Caesar stuck on its prongs. “Haven’t we visited enough violence on nature?”

I had tried to keep the conversation on other things, but this professor wanted to find a stereotype to judge me by and so she worked to tease what I do out of me. When I told her what I investigate and write about she raised her chin as she grew the usual moral vanity that so often numbs the brains of the modern intellectual elite.

The seven people around the white-linen-covered table in the elegant restaurant all grew quiet. They all have Ph.D.s. I don’t. My wife, a college professor, was stepping on my foot.

I smiled. I like directness, as it provides a chance to debate, but I needed to come at this from a friendly angle, so I asked her, “Have you heard about the wood bison that were reintroduced in Alaska?”

Her eyes narrowed.

“The state trapped and transferred 150 of them from Canada,” I said. “The bison had calves this spring—the first bison calves born in Alaska in a long time.” I paused for emphasis before saying, “The state paid for the reintroduction with money raised from taxes on guns and ammunition.”

She put down her fork.

“Some of the funds also came from hunting license fees,” I said, “as, according to the 1937 federal law, the state must match 25 percent of the funds they receive from the Pittman-Robertson taxes on guns, ammunition and such things, and states typically do that with funds raised from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses.

“These taxes paid for the return of elk, antelope, white-tailed deer, wild turkeys and have been used to buy or lease 68 million acres for conservation purposes,” I said, knowing that this professor was likely from the left side of the political spectrum. Such types tend to be fond of taxes that other people pay, and they prefer federal experts to manage everything. In this case she had both of those things, and, of course, this was an example of individual Americans taking freedom in their own hands to make it all work.

Her expression told me this was too much reality for her. She would have probably been more comfortable in the opaque topic of climate change.

I stopped even though I hated stopping—it would have been fun to talk about the chicken she was eating and how hunters manage game populations for the good of the environment, and so much more. But my wife hadn’t stomped on my foot yet. If I could avoid giving this professor a public shaming, it would be much better all around.

The professor’s eyes searched the expressions around the table and then looked down. I could almost see her looking into the deep chasm of her ignorance in regard to the environment. She glanced back up and her eyes were glassy. She said, “Good to hear the money is helping the natural world.”

Certainly, as hunters, these are conversations we must be prepared for with the facts—facts we should also be teaching our children.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/7/24/first-light-our-gun-taxes-pay-for-it/

nice article, but complete crap.

Libtards leftists can be told the facts, shown them, rub their nose in them, and still won't care or listen.

They are not rational, or willing to listen to reason. They are the true definition of Bigots.

Actually, I admire the author's tact, and, on the positive side, he might have reached a few others at the table(but I doubt it; PHD's usually have their minds made up!). Afraid I have to agree w/Tony about dyed in the wool liberals........they are beyond reason.

Have a conservative friend who is married to a r-e-a-l liberal. You can hit her with all the reasonable facts and her response is to either start crying, or state, "I don't want to talk about this any longer!",.....or both.

Regards,
hm

While you may not change a true liberals mind, it's the fence sitters and the uninformed you may be able to reach. Facts and tact can go a long way when properly presented.

Quote: Have a conservative friend who is married to a r-e-a-l liberal. You can hit her with all the reasonable facts and her response is to either start crying, or state, "I don't want to talk about this any longer!",.....or both.

Regards,
hm

Like I've said elsewhere today already, it's hard to argue with facts especially when presented with reputable sources. You've proved my point hm.

Oh, I agree 100%, crapshoot.
thumbup.gif
There are a lot of uninformed folks out there that are not beyond reason and educating them w/facts is a reasonable goal. That is about all we can hope for.

Regards,
hm

my old boss used to say "nothing screws up an argument like the facts"

unfortunately while you can present folks with hard and true facts, those who are of a diehard far left whackadoodle ideology often dont care about facts that dont support their beliefs. They'll happily put the blinders on and as HM said either refuse to continue the discussion - without conceding their view is inaccurate - or just use the "i'm louder, so i must be right" out... weather that be crying, or yelling or whatever.

years back there was a guy who we used to hang out with, if you backed him into a corner with hard data on something when he "knew he was right" about, would threaten to punch the person(s) who were showing him that in truth where and why he was wrong. "i'll kick your @ss if you dont shut up about it, you want a knuckle sandwich?". it didnt matter what the subject matter was. lol

the good thing was, being so predictable, it was easy to know you'd hemmed him into a corner with the truth
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: hm1996Actually, I admire the author's tact, and, on the positive side, he might have reached a few others at the table(but I doubt it; PHD's usually have their minds made up!). Afraid I have to agree w/Tony about dyed in the wool liberals........they are beyond reason.

Have a conservative friend who is married to a r-e-a-l liberal. You can hit her with all the reasonable facts and her response is to either start crying, or state, "I don't want to talk about this any longer!",.....or both.

Regards,
hm

Ha, i have that at my house too.. She refuses to talk politics.
She hated guns, she hates hunting.. it's only through crazy in your face evidence she has lighted up and changed.

common lie..
Cows are raised on grain and force fed in small pins to make them fat and killed for us to eat..

I was like What?? are you serious? This coming from a science major.
I showed her how much cow eats, then showed her how much feed lot food would cost, then if you had to feed them that for 2 years how much that would cost. (no dent in the lie)
It wasn't until i bought cows live on the hoof and made her come with me to the ranch to pay for the cows that the lie all fell apart.

Only seeing cows wondering around, then seeing the feed lot, and talking to the rancher did she finally admit that it's all a lie.
She also figured out that free range beef selling for a lot more than standard beef was a scam too. (why charge more for less?) I just shook my head

But, for hunting she had to be shown the game biology reports, i had to explain carrying capacity. Then show wasting disease and other diseases that happen when the herd isn't healthy.
She finally relented and loves the Elk and has stopped now that she has seen it..
NO amount of discussion will convince them, you have to put it right in their face. It's the only way to make it work.

She still buys man made global warming despite a report from the EPA made by MIT, that shows isn't not happening and completely made up data.. NO change. Still buys it. I have only been able to get her to relent, by making her live the montra.
I told her, you can't take your clothes to the dry cleaners, you can't take hot showers, you can't turn the AC below 82, and on.. All the things the global warming lemmings say we should do..
She dropped it after i shut off the hot water, and turned the ac up from 74 to 82. It's all good, until they actually have to do it. Then they don't support it.

They do not care about rational discussion or facts...the facts simply do not matter to them. They have an agenda and they're going to push that agenda regardless of the facts.

Trying to reason with them leads to compromise and compromising leads to further erosion of freedoms and liberties. So, they end up winning their battle over the long term.

They play to win and they play for keeps.

Back