GM 5.3 max motor ???

its a bad design.

typically you will see cam and lifter failures due to how the system works by controlling oil supply to the lifters.

in the aftermarket people are getting custom tunes to disable this system to increase engine life.

The mileage is actually around 19-20, but still pretty good for a V8. When it changes from 8 to 4 cylinders isn't readily noticlable. The new Chevy trucks are as close to the ground as a small crossover SUV though. They are more like a car with a bed than my idea of a real truck. I know this car like trend for trucks is not limited to Chevy so I'm not trying to start a brand war. I hunt in a Silverado pretty regularly and it's a bummer skipping over nice (read bumpy) 2 track roads that are impassable to car trucks. On the bright side most of them have heated and cooled seats.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueits a bad design.

typically you will see cam and lifter failures due to how the system works by controlling oil supply to the lifters.

in the aftermarket people are getting custom tunes to disable this system to increase engine life.

My understanding is on most of the engine failures it has been due to lack of changing the oil, wrong oil or low oil, but there does seem to be a higher failure rate than there used to be.

How about the twin turbo V6 with out this system?
Any good in a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck.
I have a boat that I do pull about 5 times a year and an airboat I pull more often .
In the winter I pull a 2 place trailer for 4wheelers and or snowmobiles. I had a 94 Sububern for 19 and 300,000 miles with a plane Jane 350 that worked perfect BUT a deer eat it this spring. I think I want a 4 door truck this time.
PS
I'm talking used here around 2006 to 2013 ish

I don't know anyone with the V6 twin turbo, so no real world feed back. I do know turbos are expensive to replace and having two of them seems... well twice as expensive. They provide crazy power, but you gotta pay to play sometimes. Personally I would stick with the V8.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueBuy name brand. Get a Ford!

I'd rather be sitting on the side of the road in the rain with a 57 Chevy hubcap on my head than drive by in a Ford. However, a guy at work has a Ford Raptor and it's a mighty nice truck.

With a set of flow masters, those rwin turbos sound cool on a boat ramp. A guy at work claims 24mpg hwy at 65 with his new 6.2 chevy 4wd. Or just get a Tundra.

Last edited:
Stay away from any GM motor with active fuel management system in it. His poor lifter design. Just got rid of my crew cab 4×4 Z71Sierra. $3,700 to replace the lifters or $5700 4 a new motor. At 75,000 miles.

A chemical contract salesman just had the same problem with his at 70k. Nice looking truck but terrible motor. Go Tundra. 16mpg and reliable.

Back