Armasite Vampire Questions or anything better for 1k

Widow maker 223

Ok so im really close to pulling the trigger on one from The High Tech Redneck but have a few questions.

First whats better for a little more money around 1k?

What is the field of view from 100-200yds. 200yds will be about my max in the areas I hunt at night.

How long does the batteries last?

How high does the scope sit above the bore of a flat top AR?

What is a decent IR illuminator to go with it?

Last edited:
200 yrs is a poke with mine, I use mine for 100yds and less and let my partner do anything further. Batteries last forever and any t20 will work. My only gripe is the reticle

Widow Maker,

I had a Vampire a short while ago but ended up returning it for a refund. The scope is very good for the money, and especially considering its Gen 1 status. It is heavy and somewhat large and does sit fairly high above the bore, but that is typical with most dedicated NV scopes.

The main reason I returned it was due to the crosshair which seemed to fade out whenever I slightly moved my head from side to side. I didn't like that feature. Also, my eyesight isn't the best and the crosshair seemed to always have a double-line but I know that issue was with me and not the scope. My son didn't have that problem and reported the crosshair was sharp and clear.

The 3x magnification is limited but you can still get a pretty good aim with it. I consider it for use under 100 yards and for a dedicated scope the Vampire is pretty good. It does need an illuminator unless on a moon-lit night where it can somewhat be used. A T-20 type 850nm illuminator is all that's needed for the Vampire.

As to height above the bore - it does sit rather high which can translate into trajectory issues.

Overall I liked the scope but the crosshair was the main reason I returned it.

If you decide to get the scope, Kevin is a good guy to deal with.

35687235880_979afd6c06_c.jpg

36076614595_ab5d5c1725_c.jpg

Hey Window maker 223, I just too bought the Vampire it is very clear and very simple to operate. When the moon is bright and I had no issues seeing without the IR. I could easy see rabbits. I also had no problems viewing the neighbor's house and trees that are over 700 yards away. I would switch on the IR from time to time and I was able to detect eye shine through the bushes. I have reviewed other sights that cost much more and I was ready to pull the trigger on. But I came across a deal on the Vampire and it was to good to pass up. I have no regrets and I am extremely happy that I made this purchase.
Many of the members recommended the Vampire, and this is what led to my decision. I think you too would be as happy!!!

Last edited:
The IR illuminator that comes with it seems very good. It cost around $160 if you buy it separately. The Vampire comes with the IR. I used it on a dark moonless night, and it really lights up the night.

I bought a Bradley adjustable cheek riser. That I put on my A2 stock, and I can get a great cheek weld. I too was having trouble with the cross hairs fading and hard to see. But with the cheek riser, I was able to keep the cross hairs more in focus. Also with the check riser it allowed for a very comfortable and natural aim of point. when I shoulder the rifle.
Many of my friends were very impressed when they looked through my NV scope. When I bought my scope, my buddy bought the x-sight. After he looked through mine he wanted to trade me straight across.

Let me know what you end up buying.

I bought one at the end of March. We cannot night hunt in Illinois past march 15th so I have to wait until November to try it out in the field. I was between the vampire, photon, and the x sight 2. Battery life, field of view and the fact that it does not get grainy when you are following a running coyote like cheaper digital night vision does is what sold me on it.

I bought one with the armasight torch instead of the upgraded t20 from high tech red neck but it has proven decent. Wish I would have went with the high tech redneck deal with the upgraded torch though. My friends house has a pipe line running next to it and I could see a post with a small reflector on it at 260 yards. I figure I will be able to see eyes shine at least that far. The proof will be in the pudding come November but so far from what I can tell it is hard to beat for the money.

Originally Posted By: slush719The IR illuminator that comes with it seems very good. It cost around $160 if you buy it separately. The Vampire comes with the IR. I used it on a dark moonless night, and it really lights up the night.

I bought a Bradley adjustable cheek riser. That I put on my A2 stock, and I can get a great cheek weld. I too was having trouble with the cross hairs fading and hard to see. But with the cheek riser, I was able to keep the cross hairs more in focus. Also with the check riser it allowed for a very comfortable and natural aim of point. when I shoulder the rifle.
Many of my friends were very impressed when they looked through my NV scope. When I bought my scope, my buddy bought the x-sight. After he looked through mine he wanted to trade me straight across.

Let me know what you end up buying.

The cheek riser is a great idea. Thank you. Also, my friend has an x sight and he too wishes he would have bought a vampire after looking through mine.

Back