6.5 CM rifle options? help!

Mikfree

the Ruger American Predator vs Mossberg patriot predator in 6.5 creedmoor are the two im looking at getting. anyone have any experience with either? accuracy, pros cons ect. i can only find reviews on the ruger in 6.5, i have a chance to get a pretty good deal on either.
i will be using this as my coyote, cougar dispatch gun.

also have the option of the howa 1500 in 6.5 available but i know nothing about howa rifles, and its more expensive locally to me currently.
savage has the axis xp 2 but haven't heard good things about those rifles as of late.

Have a couple RAP, one in 6.5CM, they are good shooters but fit-finish is what you expect in a low end piece.
The weak link in the RAP is the plastic magazine, they won't hold up over time, imo.
Also the plastic stock could be an issue, mine has a Boyd's with (savage) metal trigger guard.

Of all those mentioned, I would look seriously at the Howa, I've read they have decent fit-finish.

Let us know what you get and pros & cons.

I will check out the Howa and see if I like it. Looks like it’s not a whole lot more expensive than I thought and I already have scope and rings at home so I will just need bases. I will do some more research on the howas.. just haven’t heard a whole lot as far as accuracy goes.

Tikka is nice. If you reload, you can get more performance from a .260 Rem. of which the 6.5 Creedmore is a virtual clone.

Ruger American gets my vote I've no personal experience with any of them but there is a reason their 6.5 creedmoore has good reviews accuracy is most important, which I've read the RAPs are very accurate, you can worry about the cheap stock later

I would go with the Howa. I own three. 223,22-250 and a 204. All are shooters and have smooth action on bolt. I owned a Ruger in 22-250, it was a shooter after I relieved the stock so it didn't touch barrel. The clips I sent back to Ruger a couple of times and they finally worked right. My son owned a Mossberg and it shot good, I didn't like how the bolt would seem to drag when feeding a round. Rudy

I had the RAP, plastic mags are [beeep]. Very, very accurate rifle, but you better buy a bunch of mags.
And all I could find were 3 round mags if memory serves me correctly

Remember in your choice the magazine will limit your OAL and your ability to chase the lands as the barrel gets some wear on it- over 1000 rounds on your barrel.

Best choice for this consideration is a Rem 700 with the magazine milled longer to accept a Wyatt's magazine box. You will be able to "chase" your lands for a while with this option. Otherwise, plan on replacing barrels prior to them being "shot out".

6.5 creed with 140g bullet loaded with R#26 is all over 3000 fps on a 26" barrel.

Out of the options you listed, the Howa would be my first choice. While the Ruger and Mossberg will likely be as accurate, the Howa is built like a tank, and will last a long time. New ones have a nice 2-stage trigger as well. As far as factory rifles go, Howa (and it's twin the Weatherby Vanguard) are always near the top of my list for new rifles, no matter what price range I'm looking at.

Second choice would be the Patriot. They get overlooked a lot, but are really nice rifles and a good value. Much better magazine than the Ruger, and barrel nut means you can swap a barrel easily.

Ruger American Predator is what I have for an out of the box rifle at 400 bucks it is a great shooter, I redid the stock in a different color but otjher than that it's a shooter clear out to 1000 yds.

My son has the RPR and I have the Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor they both shoot great. The RPR is to heavy for my liking. For a hunting rifle the Howa would be my choice.
I use the 120 grain Nosler ballistics tip hunting bullet with Varget, three shot group at a 100 under 1/2 moa.

Back