Any Hunters from Central Kentucky?

Flesh Eater

I got hooked up with a rancher west of Lexington. He said they've got an overwhelming amount of coyotes there. He also informed me all the local ranchers are having issues with them. Needless to say, I've got high hopes going down there (headed down in January).

Any tips from local hunters? I read the law on night hunting there, and it's an odd one. Something like mid-January to mid-February night hunting is okay, but only with a shotgun? Looks like I'll be doing all day hunting. From what the rancher says, I'll have access to thousands of acres of private land to hunt. He and the property owners have pretty much taken care of the scouting for me, reporting pack numbers, locations, and even pup sightings (as of right now).

I'll be there for 7 days, and hoping it's mostly nice weather. Never been down south in the winter, though, so I have no idea what to expect.

Our night season is pretty much pointless. Feb.-May shotgun only. If it were me I'd want to scout the property myself closer to when I was going to hunt. They'll be roaming much further from their territory during the winter compared to now, especially with pups dispersing. That's a good part of the state to hunt.

Agree with kch, that time of year is going into breeding season and they will be roaming all over. You'll need to do a good bit of scouting before you hunt.

Would you all recommend a better time of year to go down? Perhaps the fall? I didn't want to run into their deer season down there.

Originally Posted By: kchSeptember would be a great time.

How hot would it be down there around that time? Is October just as good? Perhaps I'll drive down for a quick three day hunt. The guy I got hooked up with has been scouting for me. He's a big deer hunter, but is seemingly excited to go out and hunt coyotes.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Ky Fur BusterAnymore it seems like September is just as hot as July around here.

That's horrible. I can't handle our heat in PA, I can only imagine how it is down there.

Maybe I'll wait until mid-October or late October to make a pre-hunt visit.

Back