Rock Chuck hunting *Part 2* Ground Hog in the Rocky Mts.

chuck hunter

This is the second installment of my rock chuck hunting video.
It was the second day trying to thin out the herd.
No hand to hand combat in this video. That will be the next video. It may be too hard for some viewers so I'm thinking about posting part 3 of this series ONLY on Vimeo.

Part 2
Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/215949944

Youtube

CH

Mr chuck hunter love watching your videos. Takes me back forty years when we hunted wood chucks here,
those days are long gone. You might see one in the city in someones backyard if you're lucky......Its a shame shot truck loads in the mid 70's up till very early 90's.

Keep making your videos and I'll keep watching them.

That 6.5 is nasty.....nice vid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gord mccooMr chuck hunter love watching your videos. Takes me back forty years when we hunted wood chucks here,
those days are long gone. You might see one in the city in someones backyard if you're lucky......Its a shame shot truck loads in the mid 70's up till very early 90's.

Keep making your videos and I'll keep watching them.

Thank you for the comment. I've made 3 chuck hunting videos so far this year.
Number 1 was getting some attention. 2 wasn't doing as well. So in video #3, I stepped up the editing and hoped I wouldn't get kicked off of Youtube.
Watch part 3. Here is a link. My shooter with the Creedmoor was exploding them.

CH

Dear Mr. Chuck Hunter,
I'm currently building .257 Roberts and I can't decide on barrel contour. I'm going to use the rifle primarily for varmints, like chucks and coyotes, but also for antelope. I've ordered a #2 contour which will make the rifle about 9 pounds, but I wonder if that won't be too heavy for taking up into the rock chuck hills. My current .222 Rem. is a #2 and it's about 9 1/4 pounds. I wouldn't want it heavier than that.
I would like to hear your thoughts on the weight of your .257 and how you decided on the weight.
Great videos!
Steve

Originally Posted By: slanceyDear Mr. Chuck Hunter,
I'm currently building .257 Roberts and I can't decide on barrel contour. I'm going to use the rifle primarily for varmints, like chucks and coyotes, but also for antelope. I've ordered a #2 contour which will make the rifle about 9 pounds, but I wonder if that won't be too heavy for taking up into the rock chuck hills. My current .222 Rem. is a #2 and it's about 9 1/4 pounds. I wouldn't want it heavier than that.
I would like to hear your thoughts on the weight of your .257 and how you decided on the weight.
Great videos!
Steve

I have and shoot a little bit of everything. Shot a 7MM-08 for years, but even with the 100 HP it wasn't quite what I wanted . Tried my 270, but that wasn't very fuel friendly.
I wanted to shoot a 70 to 90 gr bullet. The 257 had more power and better fuel consumption. That seemed to fit the bill. I started looking for a BBL and saw one sitting on the shelve. It wasn't light or heavy. My guess would be a #2.
I'm more of a bench shooter at my age. But I did hike in to a chuck hunting spot last year. It wasn't too bad. I started shooting the 90 gr to fight the wind. But it didn't seem vey explosive. So this year I shot the 70 gr. That did seem to be faster, flatter and a bit more explosive. So to answer your question, I found one already made and sitting on the shelf. I'll have to say, I've been happy with it. Brass was an issue. I had to use 6MM Remington brass. No one makes 257 brass these days.
CH

Thanks for the reply. I shoot a .270 Win. also and I'm not crazy about the recoil effect sitting at the bench, even with the 100 Speer Hollow Point load I use. It has a #1 barrel and weighs about 8 1/4 pounds. It sure is easy to carry around, though, and that load really explodes 'em.
Speaking of brass, I was wandering through my local gun shop a few months ago and I found 1200 pieces of new .257 Roberts brass. It was Winchester, Frontier and Remington, all new in bags of 100 each. I sold all but 100 pieces of each, and I got $75-$125 per bag. The new Nosler stuff goes for way more than that. But I think the .257 is just about perfect for long-range varmints.

CH, I've got a 25/06 and really like it. Very Accurate and hard hitting. I noticied the 6.5 Creedmore looked like it bucked the wind pretty good. I just put a 6.5 Grendel.264 LBC together and getting it ready. Next rifle I get will probably be a Creedmore or 6.5x47 Lapua. Did the Creedmore perform any better in the wind or did it just look like it did? Thanks for the videos and keep them coming.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47CH, I've got a 25/06 and really like it. Very Accurate and hard hitting. I noticied the 6.5 Creedmore looked like it bucked the wind pretty good. I just put a 6.5 Grendel.264 LBC together and getting it ready. Next rifle I get will probably be a Creedmore or 6.5x47 Lapua. Did the Creedmore perform any better in the wind or did it just look like it did? Thanks for the videos and keep them coming.

I tried my 270 and a 110gr to fight the wind, but didn't like the powder consumption.
My shooter / camera man on many trips, bought that 25-06. It seems to do very well but he needs to buy a can of powder every time we go hunting. My 7MM-08 was ok with a 100 gr bullet, but it just wasn't the varmint rifle I'd hoped for. I liked my 6MM Remington I had back in the mid 70's, so I tried to combined all of these by getting a 257 Roberts. I'll have to say I like it. With the 70 to 90 gr bullets, it's fast flat and burns less powder than a 25-06. I thought JUST the speed and dia. of the bullet would cause tissue displacement and give a flat trajectory. The 257 does very well but I'll have to say, my friends 6.5 creedmoor ( with a non varmint bullet, A-max ) was very Impressive to me. It doesn't seems like the .007 larger Dia. bullet (26 Cal) should cause more tissue displacement than my 257 going faster, but he was blowing them up.
It has me a bit dismayed, confused and scratching my head. I could blow them up at 200 to 250 y, but if you watch video #2, he 'explodes' one at 450 y with a target bullet. In video #3, we were shooting at shorter ranges and we both did well. For some reason, his 6.5 was slower, shooting a heavier bullet to fight the wind AND he was exploding them even at distance.
I don't know how to explain the good performance, but I was impressed with that 26 caliber.
The thought crossed my mind, maybe I should have bought a 260 or at least a 26 caliber something. To answer your question, he was fighting the wind with a heavy bullet AND exploding them very well in my opinion. 26 cal was impressive.
CH

I'm still enjoying the chuck videos. One cannot deny the destructive nature of those 6.5mm A-Max bullets. It makes me want one, but I understand that Hornady is in the process of discontinuing the A-Max altogether. I wonder if the other bullets are as explosive.

Also, I noticed you have a "DVD Title Plate" video listed on Vimeo. Those were some extremely explosive loads used on the chucks in that one. Where can I get a copy of the DVD?

Thank you,
Steve

Originally Posted By: slanceyI'm still enjoying the chuck videos. One cannot deny the destructive nature of those 6.5mm A-Max bullets. It makes me want one, but I understand that Hornady is in the process of discontinuing the A-Max altogether. I wonder if the other bullets are as explosive.

Also, I noticed you have a "DVD Title Plate" video listed on Vimeo. Those were some extremely explosive loads used on the chucks in that one. Where can I get a copy of the DVD?

Thank you,
Steve

I was getting ready to cut one of those 123 A-max in to so i could see what the wall thickness looked like.
The jacket must be thin to explode like that.
Thank you for the comment.
I'll send you a P.M. about the DVD.
CH

Back